Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frustrating Issues since Reinstallation of WinXP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Teck071

Teck071

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:22 AM

Hey there...

I'll start from the very beginning.

I had a extreme virus issue about 2 months ago, it completely destroyed my operating system, installing keyboard drivers to confuse windows on start up, and froze before i could even type my password in. So - reinstalled XP Home edition, downloaded all the drivers required for my Compaq EVO D51S from the website, installed SP3 & added Vipre Antivirus.

But I cannot run any Microsoft programs like Live Messenger, IE, Outlook... thats a minor issue though.

What bugs me more is why when I download a large file like Crysis game demo for example, and when about to install it, the computer freezes and hangs for say 5 hours... or any similar large file.

I noticed if I download the file onto a USB Flash Drive, it doesnt hang or freeze, it installs straight away.

I've been meaning to get to grips with this issue and now I'm so EFFING fed up, thought I should come on this website and ask... if you have any clue what is going on.. or what I have missed.

My Specs are...

2.4ghz Intel pentium 4.
1GB DDR Ram
256 MB Ati GFX Card
80 GB HD
Windows XP Home SP3

___

... This never used to happen before I got that virus, everything ran fine. :flowers:

Please help out, and thank you so much for viewing:

Alexei Reynolds from New Zealand. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Did you do a clean install? It doesn't sound like it.

The problem with a repair install (as I see it) is that it's not guaranteed to overcome everything. A clean install provides a new, working state for XP.

Have you checkec Event Viewer for possible clues to situations calling for your attention (errors)?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

It might also be a good idea to run a hard drive diagnostic, particularly if Event Viewer reflects any errors relating to hard drives/disks.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Did you have SP3 installed prior to your problems and susequent re-install of Win XP Home Edition?

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#4 Teck071

Teck071
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I did, thing is .. I did a complete format of the hard-drive thru windows setup, so thinking... I am missing a hard-drive "driver"? cos these problems are consistant, and looked at event viewer... over like.. 400 errors.. in system..

I am pretty confused aye.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

There are no drivers for a hard drive.

When you look at the Event viewer, on the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the most frequently repeated errors.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

But I cannot run any Microsoft programs like Live Messenger, IE, Outlook... thats a minor issue though.

This strikes me as a significant clue and I would say this is a major issue, whether you want to use these programs or not. You may be infected again?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Have you checked Device Manager? If not, go Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Look for any red x's or yellow !'s.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users