Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop booting problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 newzerokarolina

newzerokarolina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

Hey all, I have an HP Pavilion ze2000 laptop bought in 2005.

I had gotten the Windows Anti-virus virus before anyone knew what it was. The computer began behaving erratically and would only run on internet in Safe Mode. Then one day it happened. The thing crashed, I got blue screen of death on loop everytime I tried to start up (yes, even in Safe Mode). So I tossed it aside and bought a new laptop. Now months later (this happened in like August or so) I realize I have almost 30G of mp3s on there I'd like off of there. Well i tried to start her up, no blue screen of death now, but when it goes to the boot menu, anything I try to click on it just freezes, safe mode, last known good config, start windows normally, all of it. If I hit F8 and go to the boot menu at startup, it'll let me choose things, but then just sits on black screen and does zip.

My question is, what do I do need to do to get her to startup so I can get the music off of there? Is there some way to fix this without going to a computer repair place? If not, how much is it going to cost me to either repair the startup or get my hard drive contents put on a disk or something? Should I/is there a safe way to just remove the hard drive and transfer it to my new Acer laptop somehow? Would running Windows Repair from an XP disk help or would it erase the data?

I desperately need help. I'm at a loss. Thanks, guys.

Zach

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You don't need Windows to be able to boot...in order to remove data files (such as .mp3 files) from the hard drive. This is said assuming that the hard drive is mechanically intact/sound.

What you do need to do is to connect the drive from the laptop as a secondary drive...to some other system, preferably the one you would like to move the files to.

There are USB-connection enclosures which are perfect for this. Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;name=2.5%22

Be sure to choose an enclosure which supports 2.5" drives (laptops) and which has a size capacity at least as large as the laptop drive in question.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users