Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple internet access?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:34 AM

Hi all,
having a problem,
we have three computers, mine, my wifes and my sons.
wife = A
mine = B
son's = C

computers A and B both have Ethernet networking connections, computer C does not.
The broadband adsl router has facilities to connect two computers to the net,
one via usb and one via Ethernet.
I had proposed to connect Computer A to broadband via Etherenet
and computer C to broadband via usb ( it does not have Etherenet connection).
THis is my problem:
Computers A and B are networked via a Belkin hub, so files, printer, etc
can be shared, so the Etherenet connection on computer A is already used??
Anyone any ideas how l can connect all three to use the Broadband connection,
whilst still maintaining the networking connection between A and B.
Computer C (my son's) does not necessarily have to be networked, as no file or printer sharing facilities are required on this computer.
I hope l have explained this clearly. Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Regards geoff
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aditya

Aditya

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

ur problem can be solved as such.

just create a small intranet in ur house as such.
make ur comp as server.
and other two comps as nodes to it.
as router can support one ethernet card.

confiure ur system first. and set DHCP server on it. let the other two computers ur wife and son.
with ethrenet card on their pcs to set the net properties with dhcp enabled.
automatic ips will be generated it help u to fucntion better no usbs required aSimple LAn in your system.

you have to arrange a hub ib that a switch for that.
i think its there
.::ASAP::.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

The broadband adsl router has facilities to connect two computers to the net,
one via usb and one via Ethernet.

I need more information about this broadband router, I think these are either/or options. Does your router documentation actually say you can connect two PCs?

There are three ways you can do this, if the situation is what I think, with varying degrees of ease and expense:
1. Install a wireless router/switch with the WAN port going to your broadband unit. Connect PCs A and B to the new router by cable and install a wireless network card in C.

2. Install a router with inbuilt switch. Connect the WAN port to the broadband. Install an ethernet network card in C and connect A.B and C by Cat5E cable to the new router.

3. Leave PC A connected to the broadband by ethernet. Install a second ethernet card in A an one in C. Connect A,B and C with Cat5E cables to your Belkin HUB. Then setup 'internet connection sharing" on all three computers with A as the gateway.

Obviously the wireless option is the most expensive but it has the advantage of being able to network to almost anywhere in the building without installing cables.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 09 May 2005 - 08:48 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:37 AM

Hi, thanks for your replies,
computer A ( my wife's) connected to broadband router via usb and connected to belkin hub via Ethernet.

Computer B (mine) connected to Belkin hub via Ethernet.

Both these computers are networked and share files, internet broadband and printer. And in same room.

Computer C ( my son's) does not have Etherenet connection, but does have spare usb ports. Does not require file or printer sharing ability. And in different room.

Computer A is the host computer, Computers B and C would be nodes.

The BT broadband router has facilities, and is manufactures to provide access to two computers, one via usb and another via Ethernet.

I was hoping to network A and B and then just connect C to broadband via usb.
Unfortunately the usb port on the broadband router is being used by Computer A,
because the Ethernet port is being used to network...

Any ideas ???

Many thanks Geoff
Geoff

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

Rats, I replied yesterday but my dial-up must have dropped out before it was sent. I'll type it out again:

From what you've described all you need to do is add an ethernet card to computer C and connect that to the ethernet port on the broadband router with Cat5e cable. Set up the internet networking on that PC and you're done. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hi Rimmer,
that sounds good to me :thumbsup:
How do l do that then?? :flowers:

What is the easiest way? Can l get an external card? Or do l have to open
it up ? (panic attack!!!)

Many thanks Geoff
Geoff

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

You can get USB to ethernet convertors but they really are a waste of money if you have a spare PCI slot in your computer. I'm assuming computer C is a tower or normal height desktop not some propretory slimline PC?
Fitting the Ethernet card is very simple - Power off the PC and remove the cover. Hold the metal chassis to discharge any static on your body, then pull the power cord out of the back of the PC. Find a vacant PCI (white) slot, remove the screw to take out the slot blanking plate, plug in the network card, put the screw back in to secure it. Try to handle the card as little as possible and keep it away from your clothing or the carpet. Don't walk around in the middle of the job. Put the cover back on and you're done.
When you power up windows will find the new card and try to install drivers - insert the CD or Floppy that came with the card and point the installer to the driver on that disk. (sometimes the hardest part is finding where the manufacturer has hidden the device driver on the CD). When you find the driver windows will install it and you are ready to plug in the patch cable, connect to the router and set up networking. Follow instructions from your ISP for the correct network settings to use for a second PC attached to your router.

#8 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:33 AM

Hi Rimmer,
thanks for all ur help :thumbsup:
will keep you posted.

Many thanks Geoff