Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No drive letters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Good day again to you Gurus,
Running XP Home edition/SP3. Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 2.01GHz 1 GB RAM.

I have three internal hard drives. C,F and G. When I Click on my computer, it will show all my drives but there are no Drive Letters nor the letters for my two DVD's or for my card reader. If I open the G drive there are no file names. Rebooting ot turning off and on my computer makes no difference. If I do a restore then I get everything back to normal for a while and then have to go through another restore.
I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to put this right. The computer is NOT connected to the Internet although it is Net Worked.
Thank you for reading.
I look forward to your knowledgeable replies.
GEORGE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spart

spart

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

If you know which drives are which try this:

Click on START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS/COMPUTER MANAGEMENT

Under the STORAGE folder there is a folder called DISK MANAGEMENT

Click on this and it will show you your drives and the letters for them. If not you can change them to whatever letter you want.

Just remember if you change a drive letter it might have some issues with the programs installed because
Windows knows what drives they were installed on and if you change that some programs might not function or your
short cuts might not work.

That's why I asked if you know what drives are what then you can label them as such and you should be fine.

Good Luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Me...I would take these things as indications of possible drive trouble and check Event Viewer for errors regarding such.

Louis

#4 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:05 AM

Spart,
Thank you for your reply. Did what you said and all Drive letters are showing correctly. This is an intermittent fault which I have only been able to cure temporarily by doing a system restore.
Hamluis,
Thank you for your reply. The drive is less that a year old and is showing as Healthy under Disc Management.
Any other suggestions apreciated.
GEORGE.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:33 AM

Hamluis,
Thank you for your reply. The drive is less that a year old and is showing as Healthy under Disc Management.
Any other suggestions apreciated.
GEORGE.

HDD are like Motherboards? Subject to Faults as are all other Components in a System, Mate.

Get it checked out from your Supplier, while you still have Warrantee.

I think Hamluis may have made a good Call on this one, particularly if you have three Drives and only one HDD?

Otherwise it is a different Ball Game?

More Details on those Hard Drives would clear it up? For Example are they Seperate HDDs linked by SATA? That could be Driver Problems?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 26 November 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

Despite it being depicted as healthy in Disk Management...it won't hurt anything to run a diagnostic on the drive or at least run chkdsk /r on the operating system.

Chkdsk /r is a Windows maintenance tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Scroll down to the section Manual Steps To Run Chkdsk From My Computer Or Windows Explorer, when presented with the two options...select both. The chkdsk will run on the next reboot.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#7 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Abacus 7,
They are three seperate hard drives connected by SATA. I cannot give details of the drives at the moment as I am creating a DVD but will do when that has finished.
As for a faulty hard drive. If I do a restore [even just to the previous day] then everything is fine. Surely this does not point to a hard drive problem.
GEORGE.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

<<If I do a restore then I get everything back to normal for a while and then have to go through another restore.>>

Louis

#9 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

Not wanting to jump the gun I have waited for a while before reporting that Chkdsk repair did the trick. All HDD lettere restored and all file names restored.
Thank you for all your help.
GEORGE.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for providing feedback...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users