Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalling xp problem

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

well, once again thanks to my cat like reflexes to delete things that i should leave alone and my uncanning ability to be lazy, instead of trying to fix my problems I just F disk my computer and start over! Usually works but this time when I put in the product key it would't accept it and says it's invalid! It's the right product key, I have examined it closely to make sure I have no typos and it is the correct prouduct key. This leaves me thinking, once my wife tried to use my start up disk to install windows xp on a second computer we have but failed to put it on. Could this have invalidated my copy of windows xp and where does that leave me standing? Any Ideas or thoughts on this? Thank you very much for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

Telephonic activation, normally...but since you can't boot into anything (nothing installed)...I'd triple check those letters and numbers typed into the key (when requested).

I've made those errors before :thumbsup: and received that message.

If you are doing a clean install, it should allow the install to complete...to be followed by telephonic activation.

What's the exact error message, please?

Louis

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Telephonic activation, normally...but since you can't boot into anything (nothing installed)...I'd triple check those letters and numbers typed into the key (when requested).

I've made those errors before :thumbsup: and received that message.

If you are doing a clean install, it should allow the install to complete...to be followed by telephonic activation.

What's the exact error message, please?

Louis

Hello louis, I'm glad to see your on the job! I see you responded last night but I had already fallen asleep. I've been putting the moon and sun to bed deer hunting and I'm not ashamed to say it's been a little hard on the old man. These Missiouri hills are not as easy to hunt as Texas is. My kin have all done turned agin me! They done give me the evil eye! They wanna get skid of me cuzz I'm old and can't get a deer! lol

Here's what the message says: THE PRODUCT ID YOU ENTERED IS NOT VALID. Thats all it says.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

OK...let's start assuming that there's nothing wrong with the key...and that something else can prompt such a message.

CMOS battery...bad memory...bad hard drive (maybe).

I know about Missouri hills (I miss them)...I went to school in Kirksville :thumbsup:...light years ago.

Let's start by replacing the CMOS battery, whether it needs it or not. It's not a major expense, is easily done, and may prove fruitful. If not, it certainly won't be harmful.

You did delete all partitions on the hard drive...before attempting your install? Hmmm...you said that you used Fdisk, which is really not the way to go (IMO). Try using the XP CD to delete all partitions on the drive...then create your partition/format/install. As I recall, Fdisk doesn't do the best job on NTFS partitions.

Well, I was partly right about Fdisk, http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/fdisk/fdisk1.html

I suggest using the XP CD in every case.

Louis

#5 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

OK...let's start assuming that there's nothing wrong with the key...and that something else can prompt such a message.

I know about Missouri hills (I miss them)...I went to school in Kirksville :thumbsup:...light years ago.

Let's start by replacing the CMOS battery, whether it needs it or not. It's not a major expense, is easily done, and may prove fruitful. If not, it certainly won't be harmful.

You did delete all partitions on the hard drive...before attempting your install? Hmmm...you said that you used Fdisk, which is really not the way to go (IMO). Try using the XP CD to delete all partitions on the drive...then create your partition/format/install. As I recall, Fdisk doesn't do the best job on NTFS partitions.

Well, I was partly right about Fdisk, http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/fdisk/fdisk1.html

Louis

I did use the xp cd, I thought that was what fdisking was? And I did delete the partitions before trying to reinstall xp. I think I deleted the right one? I'll go back and redo it all and make sure!

Kirksville! Why in the world did you want to go to school there? What where you trying to do, retard yourself? Why, them hillbillies don't know nothin! lol We were practicly nieghbors! That's not to far from here as the crow flies! Well, if he's got all his wing feathers that is! lol I'll let you know if the xp cd loads or not! Thanks Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Just for the record, I was installing a Windows operating system and had the same thing happen. I had installed this on the same hdd before so I knew that the code was correct and that I had entered it correctly, it just wouldn't recognize it. I wiped the drive and started over and it went without a hitch. I have no idea why this occurred, but it did.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

Most times that I've seen this, it's because the wrong disk has been used to reinstall Windows (in my case it's because I use an HP disk to reinstall XP on Dell computers). Do you have another disk? If not, can you order a replacement from the computer manufacturer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

If you really want to "kill a disk" go ahead and get @active killdisk, or "eraser" (scroll down on the left for the free download link) and create a nuke boot disk.....

takes care of all rogue code left on the disk... :thumbsup:

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 25 November 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Just for the record, I was installing a Windows operating system and had the same thing happen. I had installed this on the same hdd before so I knew that the code was correct and that I had entered it correctly, it just wouldn't recognize it. I wiped the drive and started over and it went without a hitch. I have no idea why this occurred, but it did.

Interesting dc3 but how do you do that when theres nothing on your computer? How do you wipe a drive and start over?

#10 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

download "eraser" make a nuke boot disk, restart with the disk in. nuke start over.

#11 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Most times that I've seen this, it's because the wrong disk has been used to reinstall Windows (in my case it's because I use an HP disk to reinstall XP on Dell computers). Do you have another disk? If not, can you order a replacement from the computer manufacturer?

Hello usasma, now we're cooking! You might be on to something here because not to long ago I used my old xp disk by mistake to repair my computer and after that everytime I turned the computer on it said INVALID ENTRY but would still load up and work! I wish I could just use my old xp disk but I have lost the prouduct key to it! Am I as doomed as doomed can be or what?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Interesting dc3 but how do you do that when theres nothing on your computer? How do you wipe a drive and start over?

The disc that you use is bootable, this means that you place the CD in the CD drive and reboot and the computer will boot from the CD, not the operating system.

An application that I have come to like is DBAN, it's free and easy to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

If you really want to "kill a disk" go ahead and get @active killdisk, or "eraser" (scroll down on the left for the free download link) and create a nuke boot disk.....

takes care of all rogue code left on the disk... :thumbsup:

That looks like a neat thing to have Michael-Anthony but how am I going to down load it to erase my computer when i can't even get my computer to fire up? Think about it! Thanks for trying to help tho!

#14 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

The disc that you use is bootable, this means that you place the CD in the CD drive and reboot and the computer will boot from the CD, not the operating system.

An application that I have come to like is DBAN, it's free and easy to use.

Man I must be dumb or something because I just don't get it! I am rebooting from my xp cd. It tries to install but when it gets to the part that tells me to enter the prouduct key I get stuck! It says it's invalid so how can I put an internet connection on my computer to down load this application?

#15 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

Louis

I did use the xp cd, I thought that was what fdisking was? And I did delete the partitions before trying to reinstall xp. I think I deleted the right one? I'll go back and redo it all and make sure!

Kirksville! Why in the world did you want to go to school there? What where you trying to do, retard yourself? Why, them hillbillies don't know nothin! lol We were practicly nieghbors! That's not to far from here as the crow flies! Well, if he's got all his wing feathers that is! lol I'll let you know if the xp cd loads or not! Thanks Louis

Well I erased or deleted I should say all the partitions and it still didn't work so now I'm stumped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users