Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening a file

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

I need to open a compressed file. If I double-click on it, it opens to a BIN file. If I double-click on that, I get a message that Adobe cannot open it. What software do I need, something for a zipped file or something for a BIN file? It is a firmware update for my router. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Normally, you download the firmware update(the BIN file) to your computer. From the router, your upload the file from your computer to the router to do the firmware update. This is normally a page on your router webpage. If you give us the make and model of your router, we could send you a link on how to do this.
JC

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

It is a Linksys WRT54GL. I tried to do what you suggested, but when I entered the BIN file in the unopened format, I got an error message to the effect that the file could not be used in that format. Instructions said I needed to open the downloaded folder and use only the file ending in .bin. That is what I need help to do.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

If you are using the Linksys firmware update, it normally comes as a ZIP file. If you are using XP, you can extract the file(.bin) by going into the compressed file, and either dragging and dropping it, or right-clicking and copying and pasting it to a location of your choosing. I am sure there are other methods. I have WinZip, so I extract it using that method. Whatever method you use, make sure you extract to a location that can be easily found using your router.

With firmware updates, you want to make sure that you follow the instructions to the letter. Otherwise, you may end of with a useless piece of hardware.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users