Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista + XP dual boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 synister

synister

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

So here is my problem. I have Windows Vista installed on my computer. There are some programs that I want that only run with Windows XP, so I am trying to install it so I can dual boot with both operating systems. I created the second partition under Disk Management with 200 GB of free space to install Windows XP on, then I restarted my computer and put in my Windows XP install disk. It goes to the blue screen and starts booting things (on the bottom), but then I get to a page that reads this:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacture-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. to quit Setup, Press F3.

--------------------------------------
That is my problem. I read a lot about dual booting operating systems, and have read about something with it not being able to read SATA (?). I'm not too savvy when it comes to things like this but I do realize that this is under the BIOS. I went to the BIOS by pressing the [delete] button as my computer was booting up, and then proceeded to the Advanced tab. Under the Advanced tab I saw that there was a place that referred to SATA but didn't find out how to do anything useful with it. I read that I need to disable SATA Native Mode or something like that, but it's nowhere to be found.

Thats all I can say on my problem at this point, thank you! If you need me to explain more I will, I can upload some pictures too if necessary. Please help I need this fixed quickly! Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

I know exactly why this isn't working and you should should forget about dual boot, at least for now that is. Sounds like Vista is set to Recognize AHCI where as you need to Load A driver in order for XP to Load correctly.

There is a much easier way for you to do this. Use Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Box (much easier) What this does is allows you to allocate system resources to a Guest operating system inside Windows Vista, that way you don't have to mess arround with Dual booting.

Don't get me wrong, dual booting has it's advatages, but I think you would have less Head aches using Virtual PC or Virtual Box.

Learn about Virtual PC 2007 here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...pc/default.mspx

and Virtual Box Here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

You'll have to load XP by Mounting the Optical Disc, which is explained on both websites, and you can easily set XP to use IDE as it's interface which
will make life easier for you.

Good Luck

Edited by RandomUser, 24 November 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#3 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

I tried the same thing and my computer wouldn't let me do it either. How frustrating.
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

Ok, for those who really want to do this, there is a tutorial out there, (its not on BC, but it should be RandomUser, wanna write one up?? a lot of users would appreciate it! )

Anyway, the standard warnings apply:

Proceeding with the tutorial may break your system, if not followed correctly, please do so AT YOUR OWN RISK!

with that out of the way, here's a link to the tutorial, for those who fully understand exactly what can happen if something goes wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users