Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

associates degree versus master's degree

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BioHazard90

BioHazard90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

I have a four year degree in chemistry.

Now I want to become a computer programmer.

I'm willing to go back to school for a year or two.

For an entry level programmer at this point in time, what's the approximate starting salary if I had an associate's degree in computer science? How about if I had a master's degree?

In case it matters, I'm in the Northeast.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

It depends. I know programmers with BS that are making 60,000 a year as lead developers in small firms. I know a couple of people with an MS in comp sci that are making between 30-38,000 per year. In general, an entry level programmer with no experience is going to be around the 30,000 range. A chemists with a MS in computer science is going to be worth considerably more, and have many more options, from teaching, to doing research. A year or two of trade school is not going to help much. With the economy the way it is, getting an entry level programming job is going to be tough, and competitive, for lower wages.

The short answer is that it depends on so many things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users