Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

losing internet connection while surfing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nrs2420

nrs2420

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

ok about three weeks ago we got a new wireless package called u verse. Well about a week after that my internet would stop working after a random amount of time playing on the internet. I will be surfing the web and the boom for no apperent reason I have nothing. Well the only way to fix this was to restart my computer. Plus other computers work fine while mine lost it's connection. Also it may be important to point out that once my connection goes bad and i go into my network connections and look at my connection. If I try to do anything with it, it will take forever to open up, but anytime the connection is working, it will open in a split second. It will say my network is still connected until I try to repair then it says it cannot reconnect. I have a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and am running windows XP SP2. I really don't think it has to do with the modem, but rather with my computer. I'm pretty sure my driver is up to date and I would think the network adapter thingy is ok because it works for a little bit, but I really don't know what I'm talking about, hence why I'm asking you guys.

I hope you understand, if you need something explained better, please tell me and I will try.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

What version of drivers have you got? To find out right click on my computer and go to manage, there you will find an option in the left hand pane device manager, click this. find the option in the main pane called networking and click the plus to the left of it, find you network adapter and right click it and go to properties. There should be a button there "configure" click it and it will open another window. In this window it will tell you what the device status is (please let us know). Click the tab "driver" this should tell you what version of driver your using.

Might not help, but i would suggest upgrading to SP3?

EDIT: also could you please list the specs of your PC including motherboard manufacturer and model (if you can)

Edited by KamakaZ, 24 November 2008 - 08:02 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 nrs2420

nrs2420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

The status is working properly. Driver version is 10.1.0.13

Also my computer's been running slow for months and I got tired of it, so I restored my computer back to factory conditions a couple hours ago. This helped with the speed of my computer, but it didn't do anything for the internet issue I'm having.

I'm not really sure where to get the specs on my computer.

This is what I could find:
It's a IBM ThinkPad T60
Genuine Intel CPU
T2600 @ 2.16GHz
994 MHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

EDIT: Also when trying to get to the info on my adapter after the connection goes away, it will take 5 min to load each different page or tab. Anytime the connection is good, the adapter info will load fine.

Edited by nrs2420, 24 November 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#4 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

Download the latest driver for this link . Try following the same process i described aboutfinding info about the driver, but instead of right clicking and going to properties, this time go uninstall. after you have uninstalled, reboot, install the latest driver and then see how we go.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#5 nrs2420

nrs2420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

Ok I've done this, and will keep you posted if it does not work.

Edit: It's not working, still doing the same thing as before.

Edit 2: It acually seems to be losing the connection faster now. I don't even have enough time to get on this site and post, so I had to do it from another computer.

Edit 3: This may be important. When trying to shutdown the computer after I lose the connection, I have a end program prompt on the connection tray. After some searching, I have found that some people say to turn it off. Well I don't know how to do this and/or if I should do it.

Edited by nrs2420, 28 November 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

What program are you using to control your wireless connections, it sounds like there may be a conflict between two or more programs, i would recomend finding what programs are controling it and settle on the one.

#7 nrs2420

nrs2420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I did what you said and so far it seems to work.

#8 divinebraid

divinebraid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

I have the same problem. I lose the internet connection all the time and then see the dialoge box open when I try to shut down "End Program - Connections Tray."

Using an HP laptop with xp service pack 2

It is not clear to me what nrs2420 did to fix this. Can you help?

Thanks!

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

Firstly i'd upgrade to service pack 3, i seemed nrs2420's situation he/she had two programs that were trying to control the connection. Go to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs and then see if there could be other wireless connection controlers installed.

Also Check this:

What version of drivers have you got? To find out right click on my computer and go to manage, there you will find an option in the left hand pane device manager, click this. find the option in the main pane called networking and click the plus to the left of it, find you network adapter and right click it and go to properties. There should be a button there "configure" click it and it will open another window. In this window it will tell you what the device status is (please let us know). Click the tab "driver" this should tell you what version of driver your using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users