Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux vs Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Guys, I downloaded Ibex, but Vista takes control, I cant see or get to linux, help please.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,910 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

Which Ubuntu file did you download? Iso, Wubi, or other?

Where did you want to install it? In Windows, dual boot, or other?

If you wanted it installed in Windows, is this what you downloaded? See link.
http://wubi-installer.org/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:18 AM

Which Ubuntu file did you download? Iso, Wubi, or other?

Where did you want to install it? In Windows, dual boot, or other?

If you wanted it installed in Windows, is this what you downloaded? See link.
http://wubi-installer.org/

Hey buddy, yep I wubi, and now only Vista boots, I cant find Ubuntu Ibex 1.0, at first my Mainboard screen came up and asked me which OS I wanted to boot into, then it stopped that, and now Quickly boots into Vista. Thanks for the attention.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,910 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

One "gotcha" of installing in Windows is Ubuntu doesn't do well in a power failure--hard shut down. Do you think that
is what happened?
Do you have Ubuntu on a CD?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

One "gotcha" of installing in Windows is Ubuntu doesn't do well in a power failure--hard shut down. Do you think that
is what happened?
Do you have Ubuntu on a CD?

Thanks buddy, no, no power failure, I got a blocked program screen, didnt know what to do with that, then I powered down. So the next time I boot Vista comes up fast again, so fast I cant press Del to get to Bios or anything. I must fix this in Vista somehow. I dont have a Linux CD. Alan UPDATE: I used msconfig to check gui box in startup and I hope I fixed the problem! Vista demands Priority, You must whip it into shape to make it act as told!

Edited by audioAl, 25 November 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,910 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites. See the info in paragraph #9.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/the-extremely-si...ing-ubuntu.html

If you have the ISO file that you used to install Ubuntu, you might want to burn it to a CD. Info on how to do that is
in the link above, also.

You can order a free CD of 8.10. In my experience, it takes about 3 weeks for delivery stateside.

You might also consider installing Ubuntu as a dual boot in its own partition as it would be more stable, faster to use. The only reason I can see for installing in Windows using WUBI is it is slightly simpler and easier to uninstall.

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites. See the info in paragraph #9.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/the-extremely-si...ing-ubuntu.html

If you have the ISO file that you used to install Ubuntu, you might want to burn it to a CD. Info on how to do that is
in the link above, also.

You can order a free CD of 8.10. In my experience, it takes about 3 weeks for delivery stateside.

You might also consider installing Ubuntu as a dual boot in its own partition as it would be more stable, faster to use. The only reason I can see for installing in Windows using WUBI is it is slightly simpler and easier to uninstall.

Thanks Buddy: I will go to the site you suggested, Yes, Uninstall is easier, I love Ibex I want to keep it,forever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users