Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Thunderbird e-mail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Terry Lamb

Terry Lamb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

I had the Thunderbird automatic update selected. On the last update the program halted for an error (don't remember what the message was). When I clicked retry on the menu, it continued going through the cycle of showing an error and providing the retry menu. I closed the menu box and it went away for awhile, but continued to go through the endless cycle not letting me either open Thunderbird or get out of the cycle. It finally stopped and the Thunderbird program disappeared from my computer. No sign on the Control Panel or in the list of programs. However, the short cuts remained. Looking at the "All Programs" Thunderbird listing, all that remained was the licensing agreement and the user manual.

I went to the internet and tried to download the program again. It put the exe file on the desktop from which I started the install wizard. It hung up with the following message on the Mozilla Thunderbird Setup menu.

Error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll
Click retry to try again or
Cancel to stop installation.

How do I recover?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

You may not have lost anything as Thunderbird stores emails, address books, etc.. in a profile folder outside of the program files.. To check & see if your Thunderbird profile folder is still there, follow the steps here (click link >>) Location of Thunderbird Profile Folder

As for the error, see if either of these help:

>> Thunderbird Installation

>> Cannot Open Thunderbird After Attempted Upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users