Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hijacked several times! safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

please help. my computers been hijacked several times and my screen resolution looks like its in safe mode but its not :huh: :thumbsup: :flowers: :( :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :cool:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

Hi Ashton R :thumbsup:

What a horrible problem, but SURE we can get you straight. It may simply be your screen resolution is defaulted to 600 x 600. In Control panel please check monitor and settings. If it is set low then just reset it to what you want it to be.

If Not Can you give us a bit more info.

What Operating system are you running on?? Windows Xp etc
What update level are you at SP1 or 2
Do you have Anti virus, a good firewall and anti spy /malaware. What are the results when you run them??

Please post back with this info, and also "How Do You Know or why do you think you have been hacked??"

Once we have this info we will possibly ask you to run more sophisticared tests but here at BC the People will walk you through it if you are unsure.

S :flowers:

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 08 May 2005 - 04:02 PM.

#3 ashton_r

ashton_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

look at my first post. it tells u what my computer is all about. dont worry i joined in april 2005

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

Hi ashton_r,

It sounds like your screen resolution is set incorrectly, or the driver is corrupt or wrong. First a few questions:

What version of windows are you using?
Have you tried to reset the screen resolution to your preferred choosing?

(Using your mouse, right click on the open desktop and select PROPERTIES. A window will open, Select the settings tab. Select the resolution you like. Most have 800X600 or 1024X768)

Is you Hijacking problem fixed?

Good Luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:29 AM

//Mod Edit: I merged two topics on same subject by ashton_r into one thread.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

I'll try to get over to see you soon.
Sounds like a couple things:

Video card driver isn't loading automatically if the boot sequence isn't normal
(as if you go to safe mode and exit from there, it doesn't load those drivers).
Seems that has happened before.

I may be wrong.

The hijacking(s) could be downloads that come along using other legitimate programs.
Seems the AOL AIM & Yahoo might still be involved. The firewall reports "hijackings"
that it has blocked, also. Be sure thats not the case. Also some application hijackings are really normal action. I found that out when a Lexmark All-in-one software program was listed that way in the firewall report. A hijack is when a program that was normally doing one thing is now doing another, so there are ways you can make changes in what you are doing that will appear to be a hijacking by that definition that really isn't.

If you notice that when using the Adaware & Spybot programs, problem files keep being found, or any details about those anti-spyware programs that give you a reason to worry about malware, let use know exactly what is going on.

It is possible those programs, even being updated, are not catching some new thing.
Not probable, since you were clean recently and have the firewall up, but possible.

If the computer slows down, the firewall shows problems not blocked and/or the anti-spyware indicates that it can't get rid of something, then you'll need to run
the HJT under the supervision of someone here to find out more of what it's doing.

:thumbsup: You're learning, thats good!
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users