Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toughbook Starting Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krh1326

krh1326

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hello Everyone.

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF27 (LBAGHEM) P3 500Mhz. This is not my gaming rig. By todayís standards, it isnít worth very much, BUT, I use it at work, (I am a steamfitter/ welder) for drawings and such, and because of my environment, it has proved, up until now, invincible. I was last running Widows 2000 Pro on it.

Recently, it developed a problem starting up. I sometimes would have to hit F8 and use the last known good configuration, to load and start windows. The frequency of this issue increased steadily.

It developed to the point that it will no longer load at all. F8 or not. When I start it, I get a black screen, then the PANASONIC logo comes up, the message for F2 and SETUP appears below the logo, then disappears to leave the black screen with PANASONIC logo alone. Thatís it.

I took several bootable CDs ( made sure that CD/A:/C: was enabled in bios, as I still have access to it) and attempted start up. By the LEDs I can tell that everything is trying. I see the HDD light flicker, then the CD light comes on, and I can hear it spinning for a little while. Then it goes out and leaves me with the same black screen with PANASONIC logo. I even tried this with 2000 Pro and XP pro install disks. Same results.

I removed my HDD and connected it ( through adapters) to my desktop. I retrieved all files that are of importance to me, then I used McAffee to shred the disk, I formatted this, then reinstalled it in the toughbook, with the intent of reinstalling windows. Same results.

I once again removed the HDD, installed it into a borrowed laptop. Re formatted it and did a complete XP Pro install. Played with some programs, everything worked AOK. As far as I can tell, and using scan disk, this HDD is working just fine.

I reinstalled it back into the toughbook, and still have all of the same results posted above. I have begun to search for a new used motherboard.

I may come off as being knowledgeable of computers, but I am NOT. Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree by assuming the mobo has given out. Let me know if I am missing something.

Thank you so much for your time and effort,
Kenny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

<<I once again removed the HDD, installed it into a borrowed laptop. Re formatted it and did a complete XP Pro install. Played with some programs, everything worked AOK. As far as I can tell, and using scan disk, this HDD is working just fine.>>

The fact that you installed the O/S while the HD was in another system...means that it has different drivers and settings.

Recommended Reading: Move Harddrive to a New Windows XP System - http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#3 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

By trying to install XP on the drive, in a completely different comp, I was only trying to follow my warped sense of logic. I thought that if I can install an OS on this disk, and it functions correctly when installed, that I can eliminate the HDD as the source of my problem.

I wasn't intending for that installation to neccessarily solve my prob. I just wanted to know if the HDD would work. If I did get the Toughbook to even boot, I would just simply reinstall os again. This was not an intended patch or short cut, just to see if HDD would function in a different comp. If it didn't work in this working computer, I would look at the disk as the culprit, maybe not my toughbook.

Like I said I am an exact opposite of a comp guru. I was looking at the issue as elimination of suspects.

I read the article and think that I comprehended 55% or so of it. Are you suggesting that I try to do an installation on this HDD in the functioning comp, try to follow the article and move the whole thing to the toughbook? Or, am I right in eliminating the HDD and suspecting the mobo, and continue in that direction?

Thank you again,
Ken

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

I also like to work on the principle of eliminating possible suspects, I see nothing wrong with that :thumbsup:.

Well...I don't see where you have anything to lose by trying it.

I've done it successfully on occasion. In my mind, the key is to remember to remove all drivers (if the drive boots), then reboot, and install the correct ones. Then...do the repair install.

It also would not hurt...to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive. It runs from either floppy or CD so it doesn't matter if you cannot boot into Windows.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Take your torch and disconnect the acetylene hose. Aim it towards the vent and turn on the torch for a minute. Reconnect the hose and strike the torch and aim it at the vent. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I would also replace the system board battery just for the heck of it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users