Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow downloading, but can't determine why...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mchambr

mchambr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

The Problem: my computer is downloading VERY (painfully) slowly.

There are 2 other computers on the same DSL line that all work at normally acceptable speeds.

It is not the line or connection (confirmed). As far as I can tell, it is not a virus or spyware, but that is only based on runs of norton antivirus, ad-aware and sbc yahoo anti spy. I recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 2, in hopes that would help, but it didn't. I don't believe it is the browser (IE) either, as other downloading apps run slow, too, but I haven't completely ruled it out.

I've run numerous throughput tests on my DSL providers website (SBC in LA area). On this computer, it regularly indicates download speeds in the range of 5-20 Kbps. (upload speeds normal). The other 2 computers on the same line regularly test normally (1.5Mbps+ downloading), even when the tests are run simultaneously.

I'm really hoping to avoid a complete reinstall of windows. everything else is totally fine. It just seems like some setting or virus or something is pinching that connection.

I'm kind of at my wit's end. I've tried everything I can think of (which is, admittedly, limited). SBC can't help me. My personal computer guru can't help (he says reinstall windows, cause he doesn't want to bother with it). Any advice on something to check??

If you can help, but need more info, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!
-mch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

How are your computers connected together to share the DSL line?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 mchambr

mchambr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:26 AM

The 3 computers are connected to a Netopia DSL modem/router. I should mention that they have all been set up in this configuration for over a year, but the slow download problem (on this computer only) has only been happening for awhile.

Thanks for your help.
-mch

#4 Aditya

Aditya

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

this is basically a problem of resource dethroning.
try to check first ur CPu performance.

it should not spend unnecessary time in servicng the services u wont ned.

as itself iexplorer uses high load.
so try o confiugre ur services from control panel.

secondly try to reconfigure ur connection setting.

third there must be a problem in downloading as server or ur connection support fast downloading.

i think u know downloadn speed > uploading spped for effective connection.
.::ASAP::.

#5 mchambr

mchambr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

Thanks, Aditya.

Sorry if I seem dense, but could you be a bit more specific?

As far as I can tell, CPU performance seems normal, but not sure if I'm checking it right.

I've knocked around in control panel, and the connection settings seem right, but perhaps I'm not clear on what you're saying.

And yes, I know that normal download/upload speeds are different.

Thanks again,
-mch

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

I'm wondering if you have a fault in the network between your "slow" PC and the router.
Find the IP address of the router by opening a command window (Start>Run type "cmd") then in that window type "ipconfig". Under 'Local area connection" will be 'IP adress';'subnet mask' and 'default gateway' or similar. Write these numbers down with a note from which PC they came. Still in the cmd window type "ping w.x.y.z" where w.x.y.z is the gateway address you wrote down. Ping will come back with times in milliseconds (ms). Write down the times. Now do the same thing from your other two PCs and compare times. If the "slow" PC has longer times then there is a problem with its network card, the cable or the port on the router into which its plugged. Change them in that order and re-test to see if it makes any difference.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 mchambr

mchambr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, Rimmer.

I ran the IP config on each computer. I pinged both the IP address & the default gateway on each. They all pinged the same on all 3 computers, although the IP address ping was in each case longer than the default gateway ping (TTL=128 vs TTL=49). Min, max & avg time on all was "0ms".

I'd hate to think it was just a cable or port that I missed, but I will double check those too. As for network card, is there anyway I can check that with some diagnostic or something?

I really appreciate the help.
-mch

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:47 PM

TTL is 'Time to Live' it has nothing to do with the response time of your network connection.

As for network card, is there anyway I can check that with some diagnostic or something?

You just did it. There are (should be) specific diagnostics for your card which you'd need to search for on the internet but if you can ping and get a reply in <1ms then I'd say your network card and cable was fine.

#9 mchambr

mchambr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Problem resolved. Took me a round about way to get there, but it was , in fact, the network card. It was hinky: sort of working, sort of not. It's gone now and all is right in my world.

Thanks for your help!

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Heh! Glad you fixed it. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users