Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Low---Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

I keep getting a message that the virtual memory is low on my computer. I went into the task manager and checked which programs are using the most virtual memory and pcstSrv.exe is using 180 mb. (181,00 kb)! How do I fix that? It is a system process and I can't just stop it. I have tried reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows multiple times and nothing. Programs such as iTunes and Mozilla Firefox take at least 10 minutes to load or don't load at all. I am fed up. I am running with these specs:

256 MB Physical Memory
Available Physical Memory- 55.07 MB
Total Virtual Memory- 2 GB
Available Virtual Memory- 1.95 GB
Page file space- 746.41 MB
SBIOS Version- 2.4

I hope that is enough information to help with the problem!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

How much free space is on this hard drive/C: partition?

Have you checked your virtual memory settings?

Is XP managing virtual memory? IMO, that seems to work best for many.

How can I fix too little virtual memory in Windows from the Ask Dave Taylor! Tech Support Blog - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix...in_windows.html

Louis

#3 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

Tried the DaveTaylor thing, but it doesn't help me with the system process pcstSrv.exe! I can't just stop that!

Can you tell me how to do those things you suggested???

I'm illiterate in certain computer related things..... :thumbsup:

Edited by FrankieRafalko, 24 November 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi FrankieRafalko, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

256MB of RAM with XP is going to barely get it running, and if you use any applications that are resource intensive it will be very slow and may use the virtual memory to help take up the slack. This can be compounded if you have an inadequate amount of swap space on your hard drive. This is why you were asked how much free space you have on you hard drive, but in order to use that information we also need to know what the size of the hard drive is. If you have a smaller hard drive you will need to have 15% free space.

You can make things run a lot faster by adding another 256MB of RAM, this would be the minimum amount that I would use with XP, 1GB will definitely get it up to speed.

Would you please tell us what the make and model is of your computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

OK, my system is a Compaq Persario SR1503WM. That's what it says on the tower. The drivers are as follows:

Persario_RP D:
Local Disk
FAT32
Free Space- 378-MB
Total- 4.59 GB

Persario C:

Local Disk
NTFS

Free Space- 56.8 GB
Total Space- 69.9 GB

I think the D drive is the one with Windows on it.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

If the operating system is on the smaller drive then this is your problem, you don't have enough free space. I would transfer everything that wasn't part of the operating system to the other drive. You can go to Explore and copy and paste to move the files, or drag and drop them.

Double click on Start, click on Explore, and click on the drive that you wish to move files from, the contents will show up in the right side pane. You can click the file that you wish to move, hold the mouse button down, and move the file to the other drive which will highlight in blue when you have it close enough to move. Just release the button and the file will transfer to that location, you can confirm that the file has been moved by clicking on that drive to see the contents. Moving the file will not delete it from the drive, you will need to right click on the file and click on delete to remove it from the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Okay, and if I do this, what about the virtual memory low message?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

That message should stop once you have enough swap space. If it doesn't we can look at some other things, but try freeing up some of that space first and see what happens.

#9 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

Okay, so how do I know what is not Windows so I can move it to the larger drive?

Edit: So I tried that and the D drive (main Windows drive) says it is a revovery partiiion and it won't let me edit it! Now what??

Edited by FrankieRafalko, 24 November 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

Ah yes, the old recovery partition. You don't need to do anything with this. The C: drive is you main partition which has the operating system installed on it, and you have more than enough free space on it. You problem still revolves around the fact that you have very little RAM, I still would suggest adding more.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Until you get more RAM, you might as well try adjusting your virtual memory size/management.

Each of us has a different theory as to how this should be done, I tend to favor letting XP handle virtual memory.

1. Click Start, right click on My Computer and then click Properties
2. Click Advanced .
3. At the Performance section click Settings .
4. Select Advanced and in the Virtual Memory click Change .
5. Here, Click on your Windows Partition, select System Managed Size and then click Set .
6. Click Ok and restart your Computer.

Louis

#12 FrankieRafalko

FrankieRafalko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

OK, thanks guys, I will see if I should add more ram or just buy another computer??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users