Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop ramdomly powering off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop which randomly powers off after 10 or somethings 20mins, or sometimes longer.

I haven't installed anything recently or done anything different.
It just powers off randomly, even if I don't touch it.

No errors in evernt viewer.

Can anyone suggest something? Cheers
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Is your fan deffinetly working?

If your system overheats, it will either slow down or automatically power its self off.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

Overheating is one of the more common reasons for this type of problem, try blowing out the vents with canned air.

Do you know what the temperature is of the CPU when the computer shuts down? You can download SpeedFan to monitor the temperatures.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:54 AM

You guys were correct. I finally took the laptop apart, carefully remembering where all the screws came from! Infact the laptop was overheating, as the onboard fan had some how come unplugged from the mobo.

I plugged it back in, powered it on and booooom the fan worked. I put the laptop back together, and now everything is fine!

Thanks for your suggestions. Have a Merry Christmas!

Edited by mar5hy, 24 December 2008 - 04:55 AM.

Brighton, UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users