Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallment

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Forward Motion

Forward Motion

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

Hey! I'm not a huge computer techy but, I have a problem with my computer wh
ere I can't get into my hotmail. I also have problems when I try to buy some
thing off the web I click buy and the "page can not be displayed" comes up.
I tryed to fix the hotmail problem with "hijackthis" (maybe not a smart move
) and it deleted what I believe some good registries and now I can't sign in
to msn messenger. So now I have three major problems. Any advise, or the onl
y thing I can do is reinstall windows xp, and if that's the case would you t
ell me how to wipe the drive a good way and reinstall windows xp tips.

I try system restore, didn't work.

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:45 PM

Foward Motion, Welcome To Bleeping Computers!!!!

Can you finds where hijack this made a backup? Or run hijack this and press backup and see if it see's the file backup it made. Post back if it does not come up with one

#3 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

I was told by a "computer tecky" that deleting it might solve the problem...but it didn't. So I don't have it anymore.

And thanks for the welcome, I might stay here a while and learn some more stuff about computers.

Edited by Forward Motion, 05 August 2004 - 09:13 PM.

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:01 PM

A computer techy told you to delete the backup of a hijack this backup??? Where did he get his degree? Do you remember what it fixed? Or what you told it to fix? Try doing this
redownload this Messenger

And this Internet Explorer

Never ever delete a hijack this backup untill you know for 100% sure everything is ok! Post back and let me know if your problems have subsided!

#5 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, he told me to delete the program with all of the backups on it, he didn't know there was backups on it though, anyways...

Yup try those already like 2 times. And everything else out there. And downloading the IE says It can't be installed at this time.

Would wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows fix the problem?

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

Yes reisntalling the os will fix the problem! or you can try a repair with the disc if you have anything important on there!

#7 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

Well I just noticed that my clock is set in military time, and it's way wacked out man...It's scary only because norton is shut down, why? probably when I ran that hijackthis program and deleted something that is use to run norton, I know this because I downloaded "pcdoctor" and it showed me what was wrong.

Yeah, well I need this computer delt with, it's freaking crazy. I have like 5 viruses from before that norton has detected but COULD NOT remove, they were deep with in the HD or whatever...but thanks dude your acually helping me, THANKS MUCH BRO. :thumbsup:

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

Well then dont do a repair then! Do a complete reinstall! That way the viruses will be gone! If you feel like taking the time to do this to make sure there gone you can download NUKE DISK And it will completely erese everything on your hard drives! It takes awhile depending on how big your hd is but it is worth it! Follow directions and let it do a one pass the gutman pass does 21 passes and takes about 4 days on a 160 gig hd. one pass takes about2 hours! Then reisntall and you will be problem free!!

#9 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:39 PM

AWESOME DUDE. I've never done this before, is there anything I should watch out for, I'm thinking that windows xp is pretty easy just follow the instructions. But that nuke, do you trust that? And I put it on a floppy or a CDRW right?

#10 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:41 PM

correct I would put it on a floppy! It is safe I use it when I reformatt! I have used it about 40 times! Its safe! Just follow the directions reboot and wipe away!

#11 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:46 PM

Sweet...can I still use windows after I wipe, I know it won't be fixed but can I like still go onto IE, or Word...stuff like that.

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:48 PM

after you wipe your hard drive with nuke disk you have to reisntall xp! After that you can do anything you want. When it says it erases everyting it means it erases everything! But once you reinstall xp it will be like brand new! Just save important stuff if you have anything to a cd or dvd before you do this!

#13 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

Thanks so much dude, I'll come back on and let ya know what happens, I'm probably going to do it tomorrow, I still have to buy windows xp, hey I heard xp pro runs programs faster? That true or not, I've never use it so I don't know.

#14 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

yes it does! But you dont have to buy a new os if you have 98 or somthing it will still work with that!

#15 Forward Motion

Forward Motion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:01 PM

I'm running xp home, I don't think I'll get pro because I don't want to spend that much on my family computer, but my own laptop I will when I get it possibly soon...I'll just get xp home again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users