Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and IE Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hammyrhf

hammyrhf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. My problem is that my Firefox browser and internet explorer browser seem to disconnect from the net after a short time. The only way i can get them going again is close down and open up my internet connection. Any suggestions please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

If you are connecting to the internet via a Dial-Up connection check your "Internet Connection Settings" in your control Panel. I had dial-up for several years before I was able to get High-Speed and I remember a setting in windows home edition which had to do with the user selecting the amount of time your internet connection would last if the computer remained idle.

There were several settings as I recall one was "20 minutes" and one was "never" so if your internet connection settings are telling your computer to "Disconnect after 20 minutes idle time" this could be the problem.

There are many other reasons your computer could be disconnecting from the internet but if you are on a dial-up connection I would certainly check that first.

Hope this Helps!

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi , and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What Ranger72 was referring to can be accessed by going to Start> Control Panel> Internet Options. When this opens click on the Connections tab> Settings. Under Dial-up settings click on Advanced and uncheck the box for Disconnect if idle for, this will stop the computer from automatically disconnecting from the Internet.

Edited by dc3, 24 November 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hammyrhf

hammyrhf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hi. Thanks for the welcome and suggestions ref my connection problems. I went into the advanced options in the internet connections. The box you mentioned was unticked so that would not appear to be the problem. I have scanned my PC with the AVG programme and according to it I have no problems in that department. Id be grateful for any other suggestions as long as they are not too technical as my computer knowledge is a bit limited.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

Is this a dial-up connection?

Are you using a router?

How long are you connected before it cuts off?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hammyrhf

hammyrhf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

I dont know how i managed it but i have managed to get things back to normal, with the added bonus of everything working twice as fast. While looking about the site I saw this advice of downloading Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware. I was getting desperate so i tried it and let it scan my pc. It came up with all sorts of problems ie trojan.downloaders, Rogue.link,adware agent etc etc etc. about 40 problems in all. Anyway long story cut short all quarantined and lo and behold its running sweet. Thanks for your interest in my problem. :thumbsup:

#7 hammyrhf

hammyrhf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1419
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

24/11/2008 20:19:38
mbam-log-2008-11-24 (20-19-38).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 52163
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 27
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 27

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a4730ebe-43a6-443e-9776-36915d323ad3} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{c31d988d-a314-49bb-ba51-7f57dee5ea34} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{100eb1fd-d03e-47fd-81f3-ee91287f9465} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{c5428486-50a0-4a02-9d20-520b59a9f9b2} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{c5428486-50a0-4a02-9d20-520b59a9f9b3} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{54a3f8b7-228e-4ed8-895b-de832b2c3959} (Adware.Zango) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18ea9-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18ea1-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18eab-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{25560540-9571-4d7b-9389-0f166788785a} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3dc201fb-e9c9-499c-a11f-23c360d7c3f8} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{63d0ed2c-b45b-4458-8b3b-60c69bbbd83c} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9ff05104-b030-46fc-94b8-81276e4e27df} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{00a6faf1-072e-44cf-8957-5838f569a31d} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6fd31ed6-7c94-4bbc-8e95-f927f4d3a949} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{2d2bee6e-3c9a-4d58-b9ec-458edb28d0f6} (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{90b5a95a-afd5-4d11-b9bd-a69d53d22226} (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\UpMedia (Adware.SmartShopper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\leosrv.toolbar.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FocusInteractive (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{c31d988d-a314-49bb-ba51-7f57dee5ea34} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{07aa283a-43d7-4cbe-a064-32a21112d94d} (Adware.Zango) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr (Hijack.TaskManager) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IE updates (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcv9lj0ejbj (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Adobe Pdf Money Guide.exe (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ebook_library.dll (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Checker.exe (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nsb23.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nsc11.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nse27.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nso1D.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nst19.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nsz13.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\nsz15.tmp\System.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IE updates\Roulette Cheat Guide - Make Money Online TODAY.url (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IE updates\sexYsexlog.url (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcv9lj0ejbj\database.dat (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcv9lj0ejbj\license.txt (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcv9lj0ejbj\rhcv9lj0ejbj.exe.local (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Crack.txt (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\How To Use The Checker.pdf (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Quick Money Guide.pdf (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Read Me First.txt (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\fmark2.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Online Security Guide.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Security Troubleshooting.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Adobe Pdf Money Guide.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Crack Money Maker Checker.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Money Maker Checker Help Guide.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Money Maker Checker.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Quick Money Guide.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Just in case anyone is interested this is the log with the results of the scan of my PC using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30

#8 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:20 AM

It always feels wonderful when through a little investigation you end up solving your confuser problems with the help of others in this forum.

Happy Computing!

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users