Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shadow Copies.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

I'm sure that I haven't looked every where for the answer to this, But I've all but gieven up.

I know that complete backups can be disabled, but does this include shadow copies?

The reason for wanting to do this is that, there is so much fragmentation and thrashing happening on
my hard drive that it's rediculous.

My understanding is that previous versions pulls from restore points or complete PC backup. Currently there is
the equivalent of having two seperate instances of Windows and all user files. This bites, since I back up to an
external hard drive or ove my network.

Does anyone have any idea about how to turn this off?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

See if this will work for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Thanks, that was helpful.

But this is completey insane. What's the point of tying the Two together when it would be easier to choose one or the other?

Maybe some users only want versioning on their user profiles. And what of discrepencies in the file system, DLL's that have been
changed, or registry settings?

No wonder Restore points fail to work. Applications have access to previous versions and some system DLL's there's no way to
inventory them all based on date and the version that was working at the time.

Ok, I'm done venting.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:52 PM

What's the point of tying the Two together when it would be easier to choose one or the other?

Some interesting reading here >> Shadow Copy & Restore Points

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hillbillygreek,

That's not new to me. The prior post only confirmed what I've thought previously. The whole thing sucks.

And the post about Vista Basic and Home Premium editions not having access to Shadow Copies is quite misleading.

Connecting the drive to another machine apparently allows shadow copies to be accessed.

Further I believe that using VSSAdmin from the command line is possible in Safe Mode with the Lower versions of Vista.

This "Feature" is the only one that I really dislike with Vista and actually have some evidence that it sucks. Most other problems
are easily overcome with user education. Doing it the way they did is just rude.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

hi,,, also about sys restore,,, it makes restore points for fun,,, loads of them,, even 1 at midnight every night,???? why??,,, i have my pc set to make 1 ot start up and before an install,,, have a look at this link.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users