Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

Ok, so i have my website, i have my server (Xampp and Windows XP pro), it is all working internally, i have unblocked ports on my router, i have the domain name, i just can't figure out how to point the domain name to my static IP. I have signed up with sitelutions (free DNS hosting) and pointed my domain name to my IP, waited the 48 hours, but still no luck, i have appache, sql and filezilla server running, and the site works fine internally still... any ideas? Or even try another DNS provider? The domain name is www.forum-indoor.info

EDIT: I have had a few times where i get a error 500 (which i think is closer than the usual error 400)

Edited by KamakaZ, 23 November 2008 - 08:05 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

There are no nameserver records for that domain. I suspect that you set something up incorrectly. In addition to setting it up with the DNS host, you also have to tell the place from where you bought the domain, where the nameservers are located.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

I have told the site i brought the domain off where the name servers are

ns1.sitelutions.com 66.117.40.216
ns2sitelutions.com 69.26.176.28

sorry i forgot to mention this in my first post.

EDIT: just thought, does it have to be an Australian name server? (I'm located in Australia)

I've brought the domain from www.crazydomains.com ($6 yay!) and have successfuly changed the name servers to point to the ones mentioned above. I checked on the sitelutions management page and they report the domain name to be pointing to my IP address.

I just checked the nameserver records myself, at robtex.com it says that there are MX and NS records but no A record, which could be my problem. What is the difference between A and NS records?

Edited by KamakaZ, 23 November 2008 - 09:28 PM.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

It does not matter where the name servers are located.

This explains the differences in records. You must have an A record for everything to resolve properly.

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

It does not matter where the name servers are located.

This explains the differences in records. You must have an A record for everything to resolve properly.

So how do i set an A record? there seems to be no option with sitelutions (could you recommend someone else to host my DNS?) or with crazy domains.

another problem is, i type my IP address into my browser, externally (from work) and it doesn't find my webserver with appache and ports 80, 443, 20, 21, 25 and 110 open.

Why would my website not be working externally? i have enabled IIS and seems to still work fine internally.

Edited by KamakaZ, 23 November 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Have you checked to see if your IP is blocking those ports? With my provider, the 'basic' service has port 80 blocked, as well as the ports necessary for a mail server. I had to upgrade to the 'business-lite' package in order to get a static IP with the necessary open ports.

I don't know how to set up the proper records at the site you used. I am sure that they have a FAQ or something that will help you. If you were able to set up the MX record, then you should have been able to set up an A record.

#7 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:54 AM

If you were able to set up the MX record, then you should have been able to set up an A record.

Well that's it, i thought i had set an A record.

anyway, i'm thinking i might set up a server with Windows SBS 2008 or 2003 on it. Might be easier... plus i'll probably put a few of it's functions (that XP doesn't have) to use anyway, would it be easier?

EDIT: then if i set up the server with DNS server won't i just point the name servers to my IP? or not?

Edited by KamakaZ, 24 November 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#8 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Ok so i'm still looking at going to a Windows SBS 2008 Server but for the mean time, when i do a whois lookup of my domain (forum-indoor.info) it shows it's status as inactive... Why? i have checked that my name servers are pointing to the correct ones, i have checked on afraid.org that my domain is being forwarded to my static ip and i have updated my routers firmware, made sure that all the ports needed are open (even tried with the firewall turned off but didn't work).

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

Are you using freedns? If you are, then you have the wrong name servers set. They should be:
NS1.AFRAID.ORG
NS2.AFRAID.ORG
NS3.AFRAID.ORG
NS4.AFRAID.ORG

I can connect to your website directly by IP.

I don't know why you need to change your server. The problem that you are having has nothing to do with your server at all. I don't know what your domain is so I can't help you trace the problem.

it shows it's status as inactive... Why?

Read the FAQ on afraid.org.

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

I can connect to your website directly by IP.

That's odd, what IP address are you using? 202.45.110.174?

I am thinking of changing my server because i wish to use the features of server 2008, well now with its Hyper V i might as well virtualise it, if i can get the website working on XP that is.

i have my nameservers set to ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org but ever time i enter the IP addresses and hit update, next time i go into manage my nameservers the names are there but the IP aren't.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Nope. I used the IP that you were logged on here with. (Yeah, I assumed). When I use that IP, I get nothing. When I go to the IP that you are using now, I got a gunner's something or other website. If I try to use the IP that you just gave me, then I get nothing, although I can ping the system. Are you sure that XAMP is set to use port 80 on your server?

When I add a record, there is no update button. There is a save button. Is that what you meant?

#12 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Yes the IP i'm logged in here with is from work...

I'd hope their website would be working.

I ran the port check application that comes with xampp and it told me 80 and 443 are being used by apache and 3306 is being used by mysql

yes sorry i did mean when i hit save. I have been in contact with crazy domains and they assure me that i don't need to enter in the IPs of my nameservers as they will be resolved.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Give it 24 hours then and see.

#14 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

I have been in contact with crazy domains and they assure me that i don't need to enter in the IPs of my nameservers as they will be resolved.

I've just got an email back, they are going to set up it all on their end, because (read the fine print) i have brought DNS hosting when i brought the domain name. hopefully it will all work come tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for your help, i will report back then.

#15 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

If i type the domain name into the address bar, it does go to my IP now. it's only because i'm in the middle of installing Server 2008 that no webpage comes up.

Thanks for your help groovicus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users