Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Vista on a formatted disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redpaul6t8

redpaul6t8

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hello everyone!..
I've been getting a blue screen error report every time I attempt to install an operating system on my other pc... I've formatted the disk and I really don't know what to do next, my installation always fails because it's interupted by this error report.

Has anyone any ideas that may help me please?

Thanks, Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

Has this Hard drive been working in the past or is it brand new?

Is it sata or IDE?
If sata, Have you attempted to Load the F6 Driver so that Windows can use the disk?

If it's Sata, are you using AHCI or IDE Legacy mode?

The answers to these questions will help pinpoint the solution. It would also help to know if you can read the install DVD in another machine w/o issue.

#3 redpaul6t8

redpaul6t8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

Oh, hello RandomUser and thanks for your reply!

The hard drive has been working in the past, it's about six months old and was installed at a pc shop with the whole system.

It's SATA... I know that because it says so on the cable connecting it!

I had XP installed previous to my formatting the disk to install Vista and it was working, I haven't attempted to load the F6 driver ( I've only just learned a little bit about it... I don't think I have the driver, I'd have to find it to download from the manufacturer would I?.. I haven't got a floppy drive either, would that be a problem?)

I'm at a loss about whether I'm using AHCI or IDE Legacy mode... The hard drive isn't connected to the IDE part of the board, so I guess it's AHCI... I've got a picture... It'll probably show you better than I could!

I've posted a picture of the blue screen as well in case that helps...

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Attached Files

Edited by redpaul6t8, 24 November 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hi here is what the error relates to: "0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions."

Can you format it with XP?
MCP
MSDST

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

I'm guessing there's no File System filters to disable, as this is happening during installation.

Redpaul6T8,

IDE Legacy mode is the process of running SATA Drives in similar communications pattern as IDE but you're still using a SATA Hard Drive.
Some Motherboard do NOT work well with XP or Vista when running SATA AS IDE. This can cause problems with file system filters/drivers during
installation, although this is much more rare today, or seems to be anyway.

That being Said, I would go into the Bios on your Motherboard, and find the SATA configuration options. The name for this can vary widely, but you
can find the details in the user's manual from your motherboard's support page. In your case, it looks like an ASUS motherboard, so I would start there.
Next, You want to download the AHCI Sata Driver for you Board's Chipset, Generally speaking, the one for XP will work on Vista, but please confirm this
on the Manufacturer's website.

Also, you're going to need a USB Floppy drive. (Just like a regular floppy drive but it's external and connects with USB)

In the Bios, you may need to enable USB Floppy drive emulation or some other functionality for USB to work. Remember that you're not Trying
to Boot from the floppy, but just want it recognized. The F6 or AHCI driver needs to be put on a floppy disk and loaded after you hit F6 when prompted
by the installation of Vista. Make sure you get the right version of this driver.

This Drive from New Egg or The model from Sony, also on Newegg, should both work for your purposes:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16821103402

AHCI

Advanced Host Controller Interface is Well supported.

Read more about it below
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AHCI

and Here:

http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm

Good Luck

Edited by RandomUser, 24 November 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#6 redpaul6t8

redpaul6t8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Monty007... I think RandomUser's right when he says that there's no File System filters to disable though.. You guys are great... I could give you a hug... Well.. Buy you a pint or two anyhow!... Cheers

#7 redpaul6t8

redpaul6t8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

I'll try that RandomUser... I can't thank you enough for your advice and help... I'll get myself the floppy drive that you suggested and do as you said... I'll keep you posted about how I've gone on... In the meantime, I've got some reading to do about AHCI drivers...

Many,many thanks... The Milky Bars are on me!..
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users