Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTOSKRNL.EXE corrupted or missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kittyhelmet

Kittyhelmet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hello, everyone! I seriously need help. I've done everything I can to fix the error message read on boot-up:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Win2000_root>\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So the few things I did were:

- Put in the Windows 2000 disc when I first booted-up.
- Check my jumpers on my CD-ROMS thinking that was it (I have two, of course) and changed their "slave" and "master" position.
- Checked my Boot Sequence and IDE CD-ROM is first.
- [edit] Also reset my BIOS

The problem I did have before is that my Primary Drive 1 was not being recognized. Now they're both recognized AND everything is running fine except that. These drives did not come with the original computer (case, motherboard, etc.) and both drives were given to me by different people.

My pretty much a dummy when it comes to the inside of a computer. I've gotten all the help I needed and now I need some expertise advisory.

Maybe even giving me my first step in computer science. ;)

If you need any other specs, I will be glad to give them to you; otherwise, I don't know what else to put.

Thanks for all the assistance you can give!

Edited by Kittyhelmet, 23 November 2008 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

See if these help:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124550
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

So when you put the CD in and turn on the computer, does it boot from the CD? If it does, then you should be able to reinstall Windows 2000 (unfortunately losing all of your data, though) and it should fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users