Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomly switching off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

Ok, I've had this problem for a while now and I've tried various things, but nothing is working.

I have a sony vaio laptop (PCG-GRZ515G) and basically it just turns off completely at random. Normally this is after it's been on a few hours, but it also happens if I try to run certain programmes, play a game or burn a cd etc.

It happens whether I use the battery or plug it directly into a socket, so i don't think it can be to do with that.

I get no error messages or anything and I've done virus scans but got nothing. I can't even do those anymore cos it switches off before they finish, but I had no viruses before when it let me complete the checks and it was still doing it.

It's really annoying me cos I can't use it properly and it always decides to switch off at the most annoying times! I can't think of what else to do, so any help/suggestions for what it might be or how to fix it are most appreciated....

Thankyou!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

Hey,

re: Your lazy laptop,

have you ran a malware (spy and adware) that are well updated to make sure your not infected with trojans and other undesirables...I dont have your original post to read but i know you said you tried already...I fixed a comp that had ad and spyware that would just reboot and switch off at will with no indication...it does sound like something you may have inadvertantly downloaded...do you use internet games at all?...get it checked out...for more info on what the best housecall programs are to use set up a post or message one of the guys to get the best sites....you might need to reinstall as well....

good luck...

#3 Lane

Lane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions...

I have scanned for viruses/adware etc using about 3 different things (spybot, stinger and something I can't remember) but anything they have found and got rid of hasn't stopped the problem happening. I don't use net games and I don't download music or anything now either. I'm totally stuck and I can't find anything online that helps!

:thumbsup:

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

Laptops are notorious for having heat problems. My son-in-law tells me that he uses a cold pack to keep the laptop cool. (His is a Gateway.) Make sure the fan vents are not blocked and blow some canned air through them to get dust out. If an ice pack works and your laptop continues working longer, then you'd know for sure if it was due to a hot processor or something similar.

#5 kikkertje

kikkertje

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

You can maybe download Speedfan (search google). It shows the temperatures of your CPU, hard drive etc. If there's a flame next to one of the temperatures, you know it's too hot! You do need to find out which temperatures stand for what part.
My computer has the same problem. I vacuumed out the ventilators which helped, I don't know if it's possible with a laptop. But it's definitely a heat problem.

#6 Lane

Lane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, I did get speedfan and I think you're right, when I switch it on it's at 40 degrees celsius but then it's going up to around 76....I'm guesing this isn't a good thing. Not sure what I can do about it but at least I know what the problem is now!

#7 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

u can get a docking bay thing for laptops which ur laptop sits on and has extra fans under it to help cool it down. i know a few peoples laptops have switched off coz it was too hot.

#8 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

Thanks, I did get speedfan and I think you're right, when I switch it on it's at 40 degrees celsius but then it's going up to around 76....I'm guesing this isn't a good thing. Not sure what I can do about it but at least I know what the problem is now!

O boy you need only 24 deegris to cook .Have you chek the fans? or at least du you hear the fans running?
JL

#9 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

Dear Lane,

I was going to suggest heat as being the next most likliest problem and as pre-mentioned that you can buy a special mat that your laptop sits on to keep your L/T cool.....good idea from the person who posted about that above..

be warned as well.....a friend of mine had a laptop that he left on continuously...he went to a class and when he came back there was smoke coming out the back of it....the reason being that his fan had stopped and hence the components had overheated to the point of irreversible damage...therefore get the overheating problem sorted out as soon as possible....your lap top is designed to shut down to protect itself from damage after overheating....at least its doing something right....good luck!!!

:thumbsup:

#10 Lane

Lane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, the fan is working but not enough obviously...I'm going to get on of those things as to cool is down as soon as i can and i hope that'll stop the problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users