Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAJOR Issues, No XP Disk, Please Help...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EvanMiller864

EvanMiller864

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ok, my computer is having some MAJOR problems. First, let me explain my computer:

5 users, 4 admins (myself being one)
Model: Dell Inspiron 4700, purchased 2005
Running XP MCE 2005 with SP3
McAfee Antivirus (Came pre-installed with computer)
Also have: Malwarebytes, Spybot SD (which I currently have not used yet), Unlocker (for deleting files)
Tried to install HijackThis multiple times but won't run after install, even if installed on flash drive
About 3/4 of hard drive space taken up (4 iPods in family, with mine being the most space consuming, and many programs installed, although recently uninstalled some)
Recent flood of viruses, almost every day infected with Antivirus 2009, brastk.exe, and msansspc.dll, and after deleting them by hand since Malwarebytes won't catch them, they almost immediately come back

Now to the problem:

After one night of staying up for hours slaving over this computer hunting for viruses by hand and deleting said viruses, I though I was in the clear. Then, after reboot, it seem as though my whole computer went to crap. I logged back to my profile, and my background image was gone. After looking in properties, I saw that the Max, Min, and X to close boxes were curiously small (pic at bottom). I tried to switch my theme, but to no avail. After trying to open programs, some would not load, and later none would except for IE, but it immediately went to about:SecurityRisk and would not proceed to any other website. Accessing Control Panel is also disabled. (Every time I try to access it anywhere, the searching for files icon appears and then nothing; it just won't load and I have to run Task Manager to close it) After seeing all of this, I logged off and checked the other 4 profiles on the computer, and all but 1 affected by the same changes. Some profiles had it just as bad, others did not. The unaffected profile is the main admin on the computer, and is perfectly fine. This made me extra curious.

I have tried many solutions, including System File Check (which failed because I do not have the SP2 disk it asked for), making an XP restore disk and trying to do a repair install (a reinstall of Windows without formatting the HD), but my top CD drive, which I believe the CPU is trying to read from for the disk to boot to, isn't working and has not worked for a long time. System Restore comes up with a "Unable to restore, no changes have been made" error, no matter how far back I go. I am in the middle of a Malwarebytes full scan, which has hit 3 1/2 hours and counting. I have run out of options to think of. I really don't want to think about reinstalling Windows completely, because the thought of trying to back up all the documents of 5 users is too difficult to grasp. Please, if anyone has ANY help at all, ANY one bit, PLEASE help me. Thank you for reading this exceptionally long post.

PICTURES/ATTACHMENTS INCLUDED, MORE WHEN ACQUIRED:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1097/27941003ll1.png

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4629/14110075zu2.png

(Malwarebytes log included in attachments; full scan now finished, 35 items found)

(HijackThis log post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/181710/computer-messed-up-big-time/)

(Spybot SD log here if requested)

Attached Files

Edited by EvanMiller864, 23 November 2008 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Spybot SD log/HijackThis log here if requested, altough need help with HijackThis)

This is not the proper place to post those logs.
I will move you to the proper place
First, restart your computer. Check Mbam for updates, Run a full scan, and post the log
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 EvanMiller864

EvanMiller864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Spybot SD log/HijackThis log here if requested, altough need help with HijackThis)

This is not the proper place to post those logs.
I will move you to the proper place
First, restart your computer. Check Mbam for updates, Run a full scan, and post the log

Ok thank you.

And I ran a full scan: 35 items detected, all deleted and quaratined, and rebooted as suggested. (The log is posted in first post) The problem is still active. I am now running Spybot SD and will run HijackThis afterwards

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Please Do Not post a HJT log here.

I understand you ran Mbam once I would like you to reboot and do it again. It can take a few times
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 EvanMiller864

EvanMiller864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

SOLVED:

Used CMD to create new user, then added admin rights. Worked like a charm. Copying documents and files from old account to new account right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users