Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows search functions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snagel

snagel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

I recently installed XP Professional on my Dell Dimension 3000 computer. It has 512 ram, 3.0 with H/T . After uninstalling an application and then clicking start then search it goes to a Window search page that I have never seen before. I then scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the search companion to do the search. The search companion page is what I am familiar with from using my previous XP Home system. I type in the search words and then start the search. It will find what I am looking for but then continues scanning and scanning and will not stop even after 1 hour of searching.

Is there anyway to stop it from searching, even after finding the items without manually pressing the stop button. Also is there a way to make it go straight to the Search Companion page instead of the Windows search page and then having to scroll to the bottom to use Search companion anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Hi snagel,

When you installed XP Pro, was it an upgrade from a previous Windows operating system or a fresh install?

Did I understand correctly that this started after you uninstalled an application? What did you uninstall and how did you uninstall it?

If these problems followed the deinstallation of an application, please see if there is a restore point you can go back to that just precedes this de-installation. If you've never done this, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
Select the option to Return my computer to an earlier restore point and click on next. Those dates with a restore point (or several restore points) will be highlighted. Select one of these which occurred before the problem started and follow the prompts. If this does not solve the problem, you can undo this process by going to System Restore as instructed above and selecting the option to undo the change.

Zllio

#3 snagel

snagel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:31 AM

Zllio, this was a fresh clean install of XP Professional. It was not an upgrade. I completely reformatted the C: harddrive and then installed the XP Professional. It wasn't after uninstalling any program that I noticed this behavior.
This has done this ever since installing XP Professional. I doesn't matter what I search for whether it is a new item that I just downloaded and I didn't pay attention to where it was putting it as was the example in this case.
However any search made for anything It will exhibit this behavior. It will find items searched for and then will keep on searching and searching and will not shut down the search by itself.

The first part of the search page it does to Windows search. Down at the bottom of the page it will have the search companion feature. This is the search page that I am used to using when I had XP Home. I had never seen the first page, The windows search page before and then have to select the search companion.

The look of the search companion page is what I was familiar with in XP Home.

#4 snagel

snagel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

This has exhibited this behavior since the first search ever conducted after installing XP Pro. So a restore isn't going to help at this point.

I had downloaded Zone Alarm Pro and it did not place it on the desktop where I usually put initial downloads and then I move them where I want them moved to. So then I did a search for Zone Alarm exe. and it found one that I put on a back up drive but would not find nor stop searching for the one I placed on the C: drive.

Edited by snagel, 28 November 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:12 AM

I recently installed XP Professional on my Dell Dimension 3000 computer. It has 512 ram, 3.0 with H/T . After uninstalling an application and then clicking start then search it goes to a Window search page that I have never seen before. I then scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the search companion to do the search. The search companion page is what I am familiar with from using my previous XP Home system. I type in the search words and then start the search. It will find what I am looking for but then continues scanning and scanning and will not stop even after 1 hour of searching.

Is there anyway to stop it from searching, even after finding the items without manually pressing the stop button. Also is there a way to make it go straight to the Search Companion page instead of the Windows search page and then having to scroll to the bottom to use Search companion anyway.

When you installed the updates you have installed Windows Search 4.0 (or 3.0). To bring the original Windows search utility back:

Go to start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > select Windows Search 4.0 and click Remove. Then reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users