Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW VIDEO CARD PURCHASE/INSTALLATION NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mahoney310

mahoney310

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hi All
Last year I bought a HP Pavilion M8330F(GX612AA) because I got a super screaming deal on it. I realize that the video card is okay but was told that I could upgrade it easily.
I can't really seem to play basic video games like Battlefield 2 on any sort of high settings so I'd like to buy a video card and upgrade. This is my challenge.

I am not computer literate whatsoever but give me a big block chevy and I can make it scream...ya know? So I know I can certainly learn but have no one to teach me.

I'd like to upgrade the video card and this motherboard that is in here looks to be PCI express x16. Going on various websites to find a killer video card seems to narrow my choices. Can I put a PCI express x16 2.0 in this slot and make it work or are they not compatible whatsoever?

I like the features of the HP m8330f but am not married to them. If I have to buy a new motherboard and switch out all the components, I could probably do it but am scared to death that I'll burn something up. I realize that the 2.0 is probably newer technology than the regular express x16....so if I have to do motherboard and video card at the same time, is there a way to do it so the dual sata disk drives will still work together or is this a huge pain in my butt?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Mahoney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

You will have no problems with a PCI express x16 2.0 card in your system. They are backward compatable to PCI express x16 1.0/1.1 specs.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users