Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys: I started at 6:30 am on the wubi install. I have had Ubuntu 8.40 before. I am installing the latest version now. It is taking over 3 hrs? Is this normal? Thanks
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

upgrading or installing new?

Upgrading can take excessive amounts of time depending on dependancies and the amount of files needed to be downloaded for your install.

Installing new can take that long as well just make sure that you are making progress. depending on the speed of you're PC and how much you've told the installer to do.

Posted Image

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

It would take a long time if it had to download the iso, I believe that there is an option to use the source files on the CD which will reduce the time significantly.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:49 AM

It would take a long time if it had to download the iso, I believe that there is an option to use the source files on the CD which will reduce the time significantly.

Thanks Niggles, I am beginning with a new install, and I just built this new pc. I uninstalled the first try, and the second was a success. Hope you all are fine in Linux land, I enjoy learning the commands at the terminal, is there a Glossary of common commands for Ibex or I should say Linux, thanks in advance,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

Glad it all works, thanks for letting us know.

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Is a good reference.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:47 AM

Glad it all works, thanks for letting us know.

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Is a good reference.

Thanks niggles, now My Vista boots fast, I cant get to Ibex, the first couple times I'd get the Mainboard screen and be given a choice of which system to boot, then I got a blocked start up program screen and I guess I didn't handle that well. Now I only boot Vista really fast, I cant even press Del quick enough to access bios?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

There should be a setting in vista to delay the start up time slightly. It should be found by right clicking on My Computer and selecting properties.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for staying with me Niggles, I'll try My computer,audioAl

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

No problem, let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

Niggles, I go into computer, by right click,properties,it goes to system, I goto properties,it shows system propertiesand a box checked time to display, which reads 10 seconds. The computer still reverts to Vista startup real fast, It shows both Os in System properties, default is Vista, how should I proceed?

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

There should be two boxes..

Time to display list of operating systems.
Time to display recovery options when needed.

How long is the Operating systems section.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 Jarrick

Jarrick

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

I found that the Ubuntu install slowed down when it reached the "scanning the mirror' section of installation.
If the servers are busy, this can cause the slowdown. If you're impatient, just disconnect your cable from the internet and continue.

#13 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:56 AM

There should be two boxes..

Time to display list of operating systems.
Time to display recovery options when needed.

How long is the Operating systems section.

It was 10 seconds, now I reduced it to 8 seconds, but I still have problems with Vista fighting Ibex ?? I 'll try this again and update you again.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

go the other direction, if you increase the time the list should stay up longer. ie change it to 20 seconds

Posted Image

#15 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Spyder! I will try that this morning, got real busy yesterday, we gotta work to live, chow, Thanks again,Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users