Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone please help, pc dead

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

It all started with me getting redirected by sometype of malware on my laptop running Windows Vista SP1. I couldn't get anywhere with the problem so I figured I would just reinstall Vista since the laptop is fairly new and I dont have that much on it anyway. So I put in the reinstallation cd that came with the laptop and it appeared to be all going well. It got thru almost the entire process (took a couple of hours). It then tried to load and hung up; and thats where I currently am at. I have tried booting with cd, no good. I have tried the various safe modes, no good. They all get the the black screen that has the timer thing at the bottom and just sits there. This is my first machine with Vista (and hate it) and don't know what to do from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I also did a few of those diagnostic tests that you can do while it boots. I picked the "cant get os to load". It probably took 5 hrs to run and everything it checked came back ok.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KirstyN

KirstyN

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

At what point is the operating system hanging up? Are you getting through to the screen where it attempts to WIndows Vista - or can you go further and actually reach the desktop before it freezes?

It sounds to me like there could be a problem with the actual CD as I can't imagine any reason why a fresh re-install on a new computer would be forcing it to hang-up. It would take a lot more than a piece of malware to have that kind of effect and you'd be looking at a deep attacking virus.

Have you tried re-installing with the CD a second time?

#3 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Well it isn't new, just not that old - 6 mos.

Im actually trying it again right now. It gets passed the Copying window files/Expanding files/Installing features/Installing updates (all with green checkmarks to the left of them). Right now it is in the "completing installation" process (the last one) and this is where it hung up last time. So far this time it has be sitting there for about 30 mins with the ... flashing. How long should this take anyway?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

How long depends upon the computer's spec's (and the stuff that's loading with Windows). What's the make and model of the system?

The black screen is usually due to hard drive problems or driver problems (most often video drivers).

Let the last stage run as long as you can stand it (overnight would be good). Then force it to shutdown. Then try to start it. If it doesn't start properly, then try running Startup Repair ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users