Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen With DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveC24

DaveC24

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:31 AM

I've been experiencing this problem for a few days now. Every now and then I get a blue screen with an error message so I recorded the last one I got. It said:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly instlaled. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance
Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xB162126C), 0x00000002, 0x00000008, 0xB162126C)

*** afd.sys - Address B162126C base at B161B000, DateStamp 48a4002e

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical group for further assistance."

I have no new software or hardware installed to my knowledge, and I was wary of disabling BIOS memory options.

Can anyone help me with this problem? It would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Here are my System Specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
3GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768MB

Edited by DaveC24, 23 November 2008 - 07:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimboy PC Guide

Jimboy PC Guide

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

The process Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System or AFD Networking Support Environment or Microsoft? Windows? Operating System or Omgeving voor AFD-netwerkondersteuning by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Description: afd.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 138496 bytes (90% of all occurrence), 131968 bytes, 130688 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. afd.sys is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. File afd.sys is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. afd.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.
(http://www.file.net/process/afd.sys.html)

Maybe it is faulty OS

Try running Windows Repair

Boot your Win XP CD

Press R (Repair) on the main menu.

Choose the Directory of Windows in your Drive

ex. 1. C:\WINDOWS

just press 1

then password (if none, enter it blankly)

type the ff:

chkdsk /r
chkdsk /p

type exit to reboot after finishing.
"Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road."

-Stewart Brand

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

What firewall are you using?

All XP critical updates installed...forget that, I can see that they are not (you are at SP2).

Louis

#4 DaveC24

DaveC24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

The process Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System or AFD Networking Support Environment or Microsoft? Windows? Operating System or Omgeving voor AFD-netwerkondersteuning by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Description: afd.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 138496 bytes (90% of all occurrence), 131968 bytes, 130688 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. afd.sys is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. File afd.sys is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. afd.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.
(http://www.file.net/process/afd.sys.html)

Maybe it is faulty OS

Try running Windows Repair

Boot your Win XP CD

Press R (Repair) on the main menu.

Choose the Directory of Windows in your Drive

ex. 1. C:\WINDOWS

just press 1

then password (if none, enter it blankly)

type the ff:

chkdsk /r
chkdsk /p

type exit to reboot after finishing.

I don't actually have my Win XP CD (it's at my parents house which is about a 5 hour drive away). Is it possible to run Windows Repair without the CD?

What firewall are you using?

All XP critical updates installed...forget that, I can see that they are not (you are at SP2).

Louis

I am using Windows Firewall.

I have heard SP3 causes problems with some games, and I play a lot of games. Do you know anything about this? If there is no truth to this, I will install SP3 and see how it goes.

Thankyou both for your help so far.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Can you post a link...detailing/substantiating what you have heard about SP3 and games.

The subject of any program causing problems in any situation...is too broad to try to cover. Rumors and idle talk by the unknowledgeable...should be replaced by specific instances which can then be reviewed/critiqued by those who are in a position to know.

I'm not a gamer, so I've not heard/read such.

From what I've read, many of the persons who had issues with SP3...failed to properly prepare for the install.

SP3 Install Issues, Sysprep Used On Image - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356

Update for SP3 AMDIntelBoxmaker Problems Installing - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

AumHa Forums • View topic - Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

And...of course...there are many persons who installed SP3 and had no issues at all. This often gets overlooked by those who look for reasons not to update their systems with this critical install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users