Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which post SP2 patches are vital?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hi,

Before I reinstall Windows I am going to copy the October "emergency" patch KB958644, to CD to avoid the risk of being infected during the several hours that it will take to download all the post SP2 patches. Are there any other patches that are vital that I should download before hand. Keeping in mind that the first thing that I will be doing post install is downloading all updates from Microsoft.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Try slipstreaming your OS from the installation disk along with service pack 2 to a bootable disk using this procedure: http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm along with a neat free program called "nlite" which you can download from the site at the link I provided..

When you get good at this procedure you will be able to "slipstream any thing you want to a bootable disk and your whole installation process will become easier and quicker and when you connect to the internet for the first time you will already have all your safety apps installed.

Hope this helps..Its a little more than you asked for but it works great after you understand the process.

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#3 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

Thanks, the slipstreaming option does seem like a good idea but I would still be interested in finding out if any other MS patches are "must haves" prior to connecting to the net.

#4 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

That the whole point of slipstreaming :thumbsup:

You create a new folder on your C:/ Drive and in it you can put any combination of the following: 1) operating system
2) Service pack 2
3) all remaining Microsoft critical updates to include KB958644
4) Each of the Secuity apps you use

And then: using "nlite" downloaded from the GeekGirls site you create a "SlipStreamed" installation disk which when successfully created allows you to download/install all of the above from your "SlipStreamed" installation disk without having to venture online until your computer is totally protected to your satisfaction.

So now when you wish to do a clean install on that system you have everything on the one disk and you treat it as your installation disk and when you are all done you simply connect to the internet and go from there. You are already up to date

You accomplish two things; You are already protected before going online and you can do a complete windows re-install very quickly instead of hunting and pecking all over the internet for the items you need to do such a re-install.

Go here for your microsoft Service Pack downloads and critical updates: http://support.microsoft.com/ you can find everything you need there for what it is you are looking for.

ranger72 :flowers:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

If you slipstream SP3 into either a CD containing XP thru SP1 or 2...you will save yourself over at least 100 critical updates.

As far as your post question...the answer is that any critical updates should be considered vital, IMO.

Louis

#6 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:40 AM

OK, thanks. I was always going to apply all patches, I was just wondering which ones might be needed even while downloading the rest of the updates.

The only worry that I had about slipstreaming was that some malware might slipstream itself along for the ride. But I think I will try it, as my origional option has its own problems.

Thanks for the help.

#7 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:01 AM

As long as you use your genuine windows installation disk and download the service pack, critical updates and various hotfixes from Microsoft's website you won't have any trouble with malware.

The disk you choose to use for the actual slipstream must also be clean to begin with.

There is no limit as to what you choose for your final slipstream disk in terms of your security apps such as Anti-virus, Third party firewalls, spyware and adware removal programs can all be slipstreamed onto the disk at your convenience and under your control.

Once you get the process down you can install your entire operating system and all the above apps right from the installation disk you have created using the slipstream method.

Happy Computing!
ranger72

#8 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:58 AM

Thanks, I'll see how I go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users