Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd RAM Problem (XP Pro x64) PC6400

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ender2

Ender2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

While installing XP pro x64 I received countless BSOD with all 4 DIMM's of 2 GB PC6400 in my machine. I read somewhere to take out all but one DIMM for the install and then install the remaining RAM, I did this and successfully installed XP pro x64, and it is currently fully up-to-date and validated. But now that I've attempted to install the extra ram I've rand into some problems.. So here's the breakdown as odd as it is.

I have 4 sticks of 2gb PC6400

The computer runs FINE, perfect with any ONE stick of of the ram (I've ran each of the 4 thoroughly).

The computer Boots with all Four DIMMs installed but BSOD after a few minutes (seems to BSOD at random and doesn't list a responsible driver just System_Service_ExceptioN)

The computer boots with any 2 of the 4 DIMMS but runs EXTREMELY slow (15 mins XP boot times) even though BIOS detects the ram with the appropriate timings and at 800Mhz as well as Dual channel.

I am at a loss on how to resolve this problem. I cannot isolate a problematic stick of RAM due to the fact that two sticks boot so slowly. : /

Edited by Ender2, 23 November 2008 - 02:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

Where am I being moved to? :thumbsup: Neat, I didn't notice the hardware section. :flowers:

Edited by Ender2, 23 November 2008 - 02:43 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:54 AM

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

What is the make and model of you RAM?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:30 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211188

A-DATA ADQVE1B16K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131071

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP

Let me know what you think, the MB reads this ram at the 5-5-5-18 timings and I use "Auto" for the Memory Voltage,

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

Quick and dirty: Bump the memory voltage to 1.9 or 2.0v and see if that fixes your problem. Oh, and run memest (http://www.memtest.org/ )or winmemdiag ( http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp ) to see if there are errors present, and if the voltage bump eliminated them..

Running with all of the memory slots full is a quick way to find a marginal motherboard or memory.

The "The computer boots with any 2 of the 4 DIMMS but runs EXTREMELY slow (15 mins XP boot times) even though BIOS detects the ram with the appropriate timings and at 800Mhz as well as Dual channel" is strange. Did you move the same two sticks to the other channel to see if that made any difference?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

Quick and dirty: Bump the memory voltage to 1.9 or 2.0v and see if that fixes your problem. Oh, and run memest (http://www.memtest.org/ )or winmemdiag ( http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp ) to see if there are errors present, and if the voltage bump eliminated them..

Running with all of the memory slots full is a quick way to find a marginal motherboard or memory.

The "The computer boots with any 2 of the 4 DIMMS but runs EXTREMELY slow (15 mins XP boot times) even though BIOS detects the ram with the appropriate timings and at 800Mhz as well as Dual channel" is strange. Did you move the same two sticks to the other channel to see if that made any difference?

Sure did, no difference, was thinking it could've been a bad DIMM slot. Also tried a single stick in all 4 slots, worked fine. I bumped the voltage to 1.9 and it seemed fine for about 20 mins before it crashed, i'll try 2.0v and see how that works.

#7 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

Let memtest run for about 8 hours.

3rd pass, Test 6 picked up 4 errors on 8534.8MB (I assume this is the fourth DIMM). Going to up it to 2.00v and see if it reads more errors.

Also, is it typical for Memtest to clock things LOWER while testing ram? It says

Chipset NFOrce SLI Intel Edition - FSB : 266 MHz - type : DDR-II
Settings RAM : 399Mhz (DDR779) / CAS : 5-5-5-18 / Dual Channel (128) bits

Odd, I could've swore under settings it said 299Mhz a bit earlier, maybe in incrementally increased speed for every few passes.

#8 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:59 AM

at 2.15v the system was stable with all 8 gigs for upwards of 8 hours before freezing.

#9 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

I removed the fourth DIMM (the one that displayed three measly errors after 3 passes in MemTest V2.10) and tried combinations of the other three to get anything higher than 2Gigs to boot normally and run stable; no luck and I'm running out of options here. (Any two sticks still boot very slowly as before)

I would like to think that it's just faulty RAM but I really don't think so since each stick individually runs fine. (And three /

I would like to think that it's just the Motherboard, but I doubt it since each DIMM slot runs the RAM fine as it's only one stick.

On a plus (Sorta) that computer isn't BSODing anymore, instead just freezing where it would normally BSOD. Sometimes on my ScreenSaver sometimes in WoW seems random.

Please help. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ender2, 24 November 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

Pardon me if this has been asked already...but are these modules identical (same manufacturer, same size, acquired at same time)?

All timings (as reported by Memtest) are the same when all 4 modules are tested?

Louis

#11 Ender2

Ender2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the response! Yes, they are exactly Identical. The model number is A-DATA ADQVE1B16K. Each "Package" comes with 2x 2GB PC2 6400. I bought 2 packages for a total of 8 GB's. The timings are the same in memtest 5-5-5-18.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

Sounds to me like one of your motherboard sockets is possibly bad.

I would take 2 modules and put them in the second set of sockets (running dual-channel) and see what happens. Then I would take the same 2 and put them in the first set of sockets. If no difference, then I would try running odd combinations of the same two modules (not in dual-channel mode).

Apologies if you've already done this :thumbsup:.

Also...I'd consider going into the BIOS and lowering clock speed (all four modules) for the sake of comparison.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users