Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Open With..." Error :/

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CB4

CB4

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys and gals! First post on the forum so I just wanted to say great job to all those helping, and keep up the great work! Awesome community you guys have here :thumbsup:

Ok, here's my problem. Until recently, I was able use the "Open With..." context menu without any problems, both for programs that already had associations and ones that didn't. Recently, when I try to use the "Open With..." to open ANY files, I get this error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an associate in the Folder Options control panel."

Now, I realize that I can go to every file, one by one, and select what program to open them with individually, but I don't understand why this stopped working. Not that that really matters now cause I'm looking for a way to either delete the registry entries that control the open with command, or fix them. Either that, or any other solutions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

To associate file types with programs:
Double click My Computer
Click Tools
Click Folder Options...
Click the File Types tab

Highlight the one you want to set, click the Advanced button, and set the program you want it to open with
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hey tg1911! Thanks for replying to my post! ;)

While I appreciate your help and your advice, I feel I should reiterate my problem. I know how to set a file association, and the problem that I'm having is that I used to be able to pick which program I wanted to "open with" simply by right-clicking a file, choosing open with, and getting a list of which programs I wanted to open up the said file with... for some reason, I can't do that anymore, and I wish I knew why and how I can get it back to the way it was... if any of you may have had this problem and found a solution, or think you may have a solution either way (one that doesn't involve reinstalling windows lol), plz feel free to share your thoughts! Thanx again guys and gals :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hello CB4 and welcome to BC

Highlight the file you want to open, hold down the Shift key and right click the file. The Open with option will appear in the menu regardless of whether the file has an associated program or not.

Edited by Leurgy, 09 May 2005 - 01:57 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

Hey Leurgy! Thanx so much for the warm welcome, I'm honoured to be here :thumbsup:

In regards to your reply, I tried the shift method, but seems that it doesn't matter whether or not I press shift cause the Open With option is always there (I'm running WinXP Pro), but regardless, I still get the error when I try the context menu, Open With -> Choose Program..., and get the error that I described above. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that Choose Program... part earlier :s

So plz, if you have another other ideas for me, much appreciated! :flowers:

You guys have been awesome so far, and I'm not giving up yet ;)

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:33 AM

Since this used to work you can try a System Restore to put it back the way it was. See How to Restore a Windows XP system to a previous State using System Restore.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

Try this fix from kellys-korner.

Restore Open With on the Right Click - #220 on the left
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

Hey guys! ;)

Leurgy, thanx for the suggestion, unfortunately for me, system restore is off so I couldn't use that option, but thanx for it anyways :thumbsup:

And tg1911, that is one BLEEPING INCREDIBLE site, had no idea it existed, and with a simple glance over I think I found several registery fixes that might work for me! Thank you so much, and I'll keep you guys posted on how it works out when I get home tonight from school :flowers:

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

Just a suggestion CB4, but if your going to start playing with the registry you might want to turn on System Restore first. :thumbsup:

#10 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

LOL definately noted! :thumbsup: hehe

I make sure to make a system backup before I make any changes to the registery, and I'll make sure to do the same before attempting this one :flowers: Thanx again for the heads up Leurgy ;)

#11 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well, you guys ROCK once again! That page had exactly what I was looking for, and anyone experiencing the problem that I was having should go to the page recommended above, and the fix will be under:

Restore Choose Program - Open With

Thanx again for all the help guys, and I look forward to being an active part of this board myself! Keep up the amazing work! :thumbsup:

Edited by CB4, 11 May 2005 - 07:44 PM.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Great news CB4 and thanks for posting back. Always nice to know when someone has a successful experience with the solutions suggested here.

Way to go tg1911 :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 11 May 2005 - 07:50 PM.

#13 CB4

CB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Leurgy, I thank you both for your help, cause it's the effort that counts, and helps us keep hope alive. Ok, I'm gonna stop there before this turns into spam hehe :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users