Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Setup.exe has encountered a problem"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MattHarwell

MattHarwell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hi All,

I am new to the group and am about to go crazy trying to figure out why I keep getting the "Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" when trying to install the newest maps that I just purchased and downloaded from Garmin for my GPS unit. My Garmin StreetPilot c550 attaches to my PC via USB and the connection is good as I was able to update the system software as well as install some other add-ons. The problem I am having is installing the new current Map that I purchased for $70.00 and downloaded. The downloaded file is self-extracting and is 2 gig prior to extracting. The file extracts O.K. and then up completion of the extraction, it immediately goes into the setup phase, then asks me for my product (which I enter) and then after it accepts the product key and starts the install, I get the dreaded "Setup.exe......." message. Any ideas as to what might be causing it??

Thanks,

Matt

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:23 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MattHarwell

MattHarwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

dc3,

I very much appreciate the reply. These events do not show up under system, but rather under "Application" events. Event Codes are "1000"

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/22/2008
Time: 8:49:34 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WXP01
Description:
Faulting application setup.exe, version 2.2.0.0, faulting module setup.exe, version 2.2.0.0, fault address 0x002f362a.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 65 74 ure set
0018: 75 70 2e 65 78 65 20 32 up.exe 2
0020: 2e 32 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 .2.0.0 i
0028: 6e 20 73 65 74 75 70 2e n setup.
0030: 65 78 65 20 32 2e 32 2e exe 2.2.
0038: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0040: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0048: 32 66 33 36 32 61 0d 0a 2f362a..

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

Have you checked for any updates for the Garmin?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 MattHarwell

MattHarwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Garmanma,

Yes I have and in fact I downloaded and installed the latest system update for my StreePilot c550 and it installed perfectly.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

In all honesty, if I just spent $70 I'd be all over their support site
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 MattHarwell

MattHarwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I called their tech support today and it does not appear to be a known issue with install. I am going over to a buddy's house tonight to use his PC to download and install from and see if I get the same error message. If I do, then most likely problem is with their file; if I don't then problem is likely to be my machine.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

Please let us know how it turns out
Mark
Posted Image

#9 MattHarwell

MattHarwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Well, went to my buddy's house and downloaded the file onto his machine and exracted the file and it installed the new map to my Garmin without a hitch. The source of the problem is definitley my PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users