Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with USB Front Panel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hey guys!

Got back from a meeting today and I noticed that my USB front panel had stopped working. Basically, it would not detect any hardware that was plugged into it.

So, I restarted my computer, and Vista seemed to detect a new device called "unknown device" which I am tempted to say is the front panel USB controller. However, that didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions? I tried to remove and reinstall the drivers, but nothing would work. Oh, and nothing was installed to make this problem happen. It was just a sudden ocurrence.

Thanks guys

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Problem solved. Just for anyone else that happens to stumble upon this thread:
1. I had a similar problem before. Please read this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172635/usb-devices-suddenly-stop-working/

2.To solve this problem, here is what I did (literally, the steps to a power cycle):
a)Shut down the computer
b)Unplug everything from the back, including the power cable
c)Pull out the motherboard battery
d)Push and hold the power button on the computer for around 10 seconds (this is known as a power cycle)
e)Went to bed, woke up 8 hours later :huh:
f)Plugged in the keyboard, monitor cable
g)Booted up the computer (CMOS error message will come up, continue)
h)Used the keyboard to uninstall the USB drivers
i)Restarted and plugged everything in.

Hope this helps other people that have the same problem

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users