Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Errors During Login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 haz33

haz33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. I just recently went through a battle of eliminating a virus/malware/spyware, etc. I've finally eliminated that. But I assume I messed something else up because of the issue I'm going to mention here.

I am on Windows XP Home Edition. We have two logins set up, one for myself and one for my wife. After I reboot, this is what happens. I log in as myself and everything works just fine. If I click the Start Menu, the side of the frame that pops up says Windows XP Home Edition like it should.

Now I do a Start->Log Off->Switch User. It returns me to the log in page and I now select my wife's login. As the desktop loads, I hear the computer make the sound that you usually get when a process has shut down abnormally. Except there's no popup box or message box that shows up to alert you of an error. I then do a Start->Log Off->Switch User from her account and return to the log in page.

I again log in as myself. The desktop is there but now I see all the alerts that I heard when I went through my wife's login. They are Application Errors for a variety of executables.....SuperAntiSpyware, iTunesHelper, GoogleToolbarNotifier, etc.......things that I have installed. The error message is always the same:

The instruction at "0x00001000" referenced memory at "0x00001000". The memory could not be "read."

I also notice that when I click the Start button, the side of the frame that pops up no longer says Windows XP Home Edition. It says Windows Terminal Server.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

I imagine her account became corrupt. Try creating a new account. If that works, delete the old one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 haz33

haz33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hmmm......after a number of reboots, including logging in first as my wife and then myself, the problem cleared itself up. Same kind of thing from a few weeks back when my wife's profile was corrupted and then suddenly corrected itself. Weird. Thanks for the input though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users