Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power on, lights up, screen does nothing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThyNameIsPants

ThyNameIsPants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have a Compaq F500, and when I turn it on, the power button, power indicator, and Wi-Fi indicator all light up, but the screen does nothing, and after about 30 seconds, it restarts, and it's as if it is just failing to start. If there is a way to just wipe the hard drive without having to boot up the computer, that would be a great help. Also, I don't really know that much about hardware, so elaboration of anything an inexperienced person wouldn't know would be helpful, too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

It sounds initially like a bad Motherboard, But that's only a guess as many other things could be causing this. First, I would want to know if you had any Viruses lately, or if the unit was dropped recently. Sometimes viruses can wipe the Boot Sector of the Hard drive, while this is rare it's worth considering. Does the screen appear to be illuminated at all? If it illuminates without booting, the screen is probably not bad and this is what I expect from what you're describing.

You'll want to approach the issue as an over system problem at the motherboard level, possibly at the hard drive level. The main thing is, you want to see the familiar boot screen before moving forward.

It's possible too that your laptop has a bios reset Jumper on the motherboard, yes that's inside the case of the laptop. Don't try to fix it yourself unless you're comfortable trying this. And, if you do, make sure to properly ground yourself.

If it were me, I'd try disconnecting the hard drive and attempt to boot from a CD. If you still get no screen activity it could be the Motherboard or screen. Motherboard would
be likely bad if this method proves that the system continues to reboot. Keep in mind that Bad ram may cause the unit to reboot also. If it's bad Ram then you might just have to replace that for a low cost without having to pay for service.

Check out these things and report back.

#3 ThyNameIsPants

ThyNameIsPants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, a friend said that it might be a bad video card, is this a possibility? No viruses that I know of. I'll try booting it from the CD, thank you again for your help.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

It could be a bad video card. Here is the issue with the video card, It may be seperate or built in. I would suspect that if the video
card was bad you'd notice it over time. With the Video card gbeing a possibilty, you'd have to swap out the video card to test that.

To do this you need to order one from the manufacurer, which mast cost upwards of 150 or so. If the video card is built in and it's bad,
then you need a new Motherboard to test with and at that point might as well get a new laptop, unluess your laptop has an open video
card slot, Then you could add one.

All the pieces I've just mentioned require opening the computer and swapping out parts. This is fine if you want to spend the cash and
aren't afraid of working with the case and it's internal components. Myself, I would start by checking with a live cd, after removing the
Hard drive, and then checking for a loos cable around the LCD panel where it connects to the laptop.

Now you have a lot of information about the steps to resolve this. Don't let it get confusing tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users