Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Tinkering gone bad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moose Rapids

Moose Rapids

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

My Dell laptop computer (Windows XP OS) was running very slow. I followed some advice in the forums and tried modifying the programs that are automatically started when the computer boots up. I used a utility called Startup Inspector. The program was easy enough and listed the programs that startup. I used consult and it rated the programs as essential, optional, undesirable, and unknown.

There were no undersitrable programs noted (I had already ran a malware removal program). There were a bunch of optional and unknown programs.

I unchecked all of the optional and unknown progams and clicked the "apply" button. The copmputer automatically went to reboot to initiate and apply the changes.

The problem showed up right away in that the computer went into a reboot loop of sorts never finishing the boot up process.

The reboot process pauses at a screen where several options are available:
start up in safe mode
start up in safe mode with networking
start up at c prompt etc..
start up at last successful configuration

I have tried each of the options and the computer goers on into the reboot process but always return to the screen with the above options

I now realize that I should have been much more careful about unchecking those programs that Startup Inspector identified as unknown. I interpreted the "unknown" designation to mean not important. I assumed that if it would have been an essential program that the Startup Inspector would have had this in its database. I think what bI should have done was go to the startup information database at bleeping com (for example) and check each of the unknown programs before unchecking them.

Can anyone help me get the laptop running again?

How do I get it to boot up properly so I can turn those programs back on in startup?

When I do get it to reboot how do I turn those programs back on?

Thanks from a newbie :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

Since this is a Dell, I'm assuming you only have the disks that came with the computer and not a XP disk, correct?
I think you are at the point where you might have to use the Recovery disk from Dell. Unfortunately, this means a loss of everything you have stored on the hard drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 KirstyN

KirstyN

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well, unfortunately, it looks like a System Restore is out of the equation and your best bet may just be the Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition that Dell has provided for you.

At what point does Windows get to before it loops in to the reboot process? I'm guessing it's not even passing the Windows load-up screen?

#4 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

hey Moose Rapids

From what it seems like you will need to restore your computer. However if you only have a Dell disc this will cause you to lost all off the information you have on your computer. However you can use a linux distribution and boot off that to save some important work. If that seems worthwhile to do please don't hesitate to post with any questions.

Regards
~powerjuce

#5 Moose Rapids

Moose Rapids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I made a mistake and the laptop is an Acer not a DELL.

I wil check at work tomorrow to see what I have in the way of disks.

When booting the computer does make it to the Windows initial window, then goes on to the Acer window. It stays at the Acer window for anbout 5 seconds and during this time gives me the option to press F2 for setup, then gets bumped back to the "safe mode" options window.

#6 Moose Rapids

Moose Rapids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Well, unfortunately, it looks like a System Restore is out of the equation and your best bet may just be the Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition that Dell has provided for you.

At what point does Windows get to before it loops in to the reboot process? I'm guessing it's not even passing the Windows load-up screen?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I made a mistake and the laptop is an Acer not a DELL.

I wil check at work tomorrow to see what I have in the way of disks.

When booting the computer does make it to the Windows initial window, then goes on to the Acer window. It stays at the Acer window for anbout 5 seconds and during this time gives me the option to press F2 for setup, then gets bumped back to the "safe mode" options window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users