Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but here it goes. I have just bought a used Dell laptop at auction for $150. It seems everything works okay, but my question is how do I get the previous owner wiped off of it? Everytime I try to change a setting or something it comes up with his name and asks for his password. Does anyone know how to solve this? I'm not great with computers, but I know the basics. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

What is the model of the laptop?(mine is a Inspiron 1501) A lot of Dells come with the default factory image installed on a hidden partition. If you restore the factory image, it will be as good as when it was delivered to your previous owner.
JC

#3 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

It is a Dell Inspirion E 1505. Do you think you can help me? Can anyone help me with what Joshuacat has suggested? As I said I'm not great with computers and don't know where to start. Thank You in advance for your help and time.

Edited by Tabby-Cat, 22 November 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

This method will ERASE everything that is on your computer and bring it back to the factory image.
If you feel uneasy about doing this, there may be other ways of removing traces of the previous owner.
Personally, I think this is your best option.

I have copied a portion of your manual that explains the restore process. Please read through it before proceeding to ensure you are aware of the notices, etc. If you still feel uneasy about doing the steps, perhaps another member will have another suggestion that you can try.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec
NOTICE: Using Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any application programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore. Use PC Restore only if System Restore (see Using Microsoft Windows XP System Restore) did not resolve your operating system problem.
NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec may not be available in certain countries nor on certain computers.

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

1. Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
2. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3. On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4. On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
5. When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.
6. When prompted, click Yes.
The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.
7. Click Next.
The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.
8. After the computer restarts, click OK.

Source - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1064167

Edited by Joshuacat, 22 November 2008 - 01:10 PM.

JC

#5 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thank You So Much. I'm gonna try this and I will repost if I have issues.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

Okay, let us know. :huh:
JC

#7 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

okay, so I have pressed ctrl+F11 and it does nothing but restart. I have repeated this several times thinking maybe I didn't do it quick enough but I know it should've worked by now. Any other advise?

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

There's always a chance that the previous owner removed the recovery image. Did you get any CD's with the computer? Others may have suggestions for removing the references to the previous owner. Perhaps, creating another user account would be the best thing. Are you using Vista, or XP?
JC

#9 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

No, I got it from the company I work for. They had to do a lien on a tenant, he never paid, so they auctioned it off. I am speaking with the maint. man that took it and he thinks he may have taken the disk with it. He is gonna check for me. In the maentime I will just set up another user account. It has Vista. Thanks for your help! If anyone else knows anything that might help, I would appreciate it. I will keep checking back for solutions.

#10 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

I have some discs that came with the computer now, but everytime I put them in it needs an administrators password. Is there a way to get past that? Can anyone help me?

#11 Tabby-Cat

Tabby-Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

Can someone tell me where to go to get some help?

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

Ok, Tabby-Cat: What are the exact titles of the CD's? You could use the CD's for the reinstall. You need the following items:

* Dell Operating System CD
* Dell Drivers and Utilities CD

Instructions from your manual that I linked above. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1064167 . If prompted, make sure that you delete the existing partition and do a new install.

Reinstalling Windows XP
The reinstallation process can take 1 to 2 hours to complete. After you reinstall the operating system, you must also reinstall the device drivers, virus protection program, and other software.
NOTICE: The Operating System CD provides options for reinstalling Windows XP. The options can overwrite files and possibly affect programs installed on your hard drive. Therefore, do not reinstall Windows XP unless a Dell technical support representative instructs you to do so.
NOTICE: To prevent conflicts with Windows XP, disable any virus protection software installed on your computer before you reinstall Windows XP. See the documentation that came with the software for instructions.

1. Save and close any open files and exit any open programs.
2. Insert the Operating System CD. Click Exit if the Install Windows XP message appears.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Press <F2> immediately after the DELL logo appears.
If the operating system logo appears, wait until you see the Windows desktop, and then shut down the computer and try again.
5. Press the arrow keys to select CD-ROM, and press <Enter>.
6. When the Press any key to boot from CD message appears, press any key.
7. When the Windows XP Setup screen appears, press <Enter>.
8. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the reinstallation.
9. When the operating system reinstallation completes, reinstall drivers and application programs as necessary. See Reinstalling Drivers and Utilities.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users