Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Clean Yet?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 lise500

lise500

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

I'm not sure what malware I was infected with, but I was definitely infected with something, with new icons appearing in the system tray with bubbles that read something like "Your system is infected! It is recomended [sic] that you use special antispyware software to pervent [sic] infection [...]" as well as a bubble stating that my virus software and firewall were down.

Viewing the Control Panel, rather than the usual "Security Center" option, there was a "Windows Security Center" option with a slightly different icon. The alleged security center contained more spelling errors, and included links for me to purchase "XP Protection Center" (didn't click those).

Searches from Google and Yahoo were redirected to advertising sites, and I was unable to access websites to update Ad-Aware and the like.

The virus software's (VirusScan Enterprise) usual on-access scan was disabled and couldn't be re-enabled, but I found that the On-Demand scan worked. I ran it and it turned up some results, all of which were deleted. I've also run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Windows Defender, SUPERAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes. (I have logs from most of these if needed.) They all found results and deleted them (well, some WildTangent results found by Spybot weren't deleted, but that's been there for years). I also ran Stinger, per the instructions on the Preparation page, though it did not turn up any results.

I'm no longer seeing any symptoms - searches are not being redirected, the real Security Center has returned and the bad one gone. I was able to update my virus software and anti-spyware programs as usual before running them. The virus software is behaving as usual again. However, there is a folder in Program Files named "XP Protection Center" which I know wasn't there before, and since I wasn't able to figure out exactly what I was infected by, I can't be sure I followed all the necessary procedures to get rid of it.

So, am I clean yet? I very much appreciate any help, thanks!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:12:37 AM, on 11/22/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: Winamp Search Class - {57BCA5FA-5DBB-45a2-B558-1755C3F6253B} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zune Launcher] "c:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp10.0] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Activation.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iRiver Updater] \Updater.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SpybotDeletingA2652] command /c del "C:\WINDOWS\wt\WDInUsePlugin.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SpybotDeletingC5560] cmd /c del "C:\WINDOWS\wt\WDInUsePlugin.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [SpybotDeletingB6402] command /c del "C:\WINDOWS\wt\WDInUsePlugin.dll"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [SpybotDeletingD6204] cmd /c del "C:\WINDOWS\wt\WDInUsePlugin.dll"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Copy to Semagic - C:\Program Files\Semagic\copy.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Semagic - C:\Program Files\Semagic\link.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {001EE746-A1F9-460E-80AD-269E088D6A01} (Infotl Control) - http://site.ebrary.com/lib/oberlin/support...s/ebraryRdr.cab
O16 - DPF: {0C568603-D79D-11D2-87A7-00C04FF158BB} (BrowseFolderPopup Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/Shared/MGBrwFld.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...72/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {54823A9D-6BAE-11D5-B519-0050BA2413EB} (ChkDVDCtl Class) - http://www.gocyberlink.com/winxp/CheckDVD.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmg...,15/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01) -
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: karna.dat
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apache - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 11322 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hello lise500,

We need to disable your Windows Defender Real-time Protection as it may interfere with the fixes that we need to make.
  • Open Windows Defender.
  • Click on Tools, General Settings.
  • Scroll down and uncheck Turn on real-time protection (recommended).
  • After you uncheck this, click on the Save button and close Windows Defender.
After all of the fixes are complete it is very important that you enable Real-time Protection again.

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and choose Install to extract it to its own folder on the Desktop. Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.
  • Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services or Registry Entries found then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • Finally copy and paste the contents of the results file Report.txt back onto the forum with a new HijackThis log and you last Marewarebytes log.

-- If this error message is displayed when running SDFix: "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator. Press any key to continue..."
Please go to Start Menu > Run > and copy/paste the following line:
%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\swreg IMPORT %systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\Enable_Command_Prompt.reg
Press Ok and then run SDFix again.

-- If the Command Prompt window flashes on then off again on XP or Win 2000, please go to Start Menu > Run > and copy/paste the following line:
%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\FixPath.exe /Q
Reboot and then run SDFix again.

-- If SDFix still does not run, check the %comspec% variable. Right-click My Computer > click Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables and check that the ComSpec variable points to cmd.exe.
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 lise500

lise500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thank you for your reply!

Here is my SDFix log:

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Sommer on Tue 11/25/2008 at 06:47 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\DOCUME~1\Sommer\Desktop\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\DOCUME~1\SOMMER\COOKIES\VAJATU._SY - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\SOMMER\COOKIES\YWENUMI.VBS - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\hynenugele._sy - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\av.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TDSSOSVD.dat - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-11-25 19:12:08
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\d347prt\Cfg\0Jf40]
"khjeh"=hex:20,02,00,00,81,04,6d,5c,74,2c,8b,06,51,05,f0,52,1f,c7,f0,cc,e9,..
"hj34z0"=hex:fb,f9,de,da,ee,59,e6,26,64,9b,e7,b8,7d,a6,b1,a7,23,94,23,53,db,..

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\FTP Explorer\\ftpx.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\FTP Explorer\\ftpx.exe:*:Enabled:FTP Explorer Application"
"C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe:*:Enabled:RealOne Player"
"C:\\Program Files\\Warez P2P Client\\warez.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Warez P2P Client\\warez.exe:*:Disabled:Warez p2p client"
"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe:*:Enabled:Firefox"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YPager.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YPager.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\SIERRA\\Half-Life\\hl.exe"="C:\\SIERRA\\Half-Life\\hl.exe:*:Disabled:Half-Life Launcher"
"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe:*:Enabled:Winamp"
"C:\\Program Files\\AIM\\aim.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AIM\\aim.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Instant Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Apache Group\\Apache\\Apache.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Apache Group\\Apache\\Apache.exe:*:Enabled:Apache"
"C:\\Program Files\\BitTornado\\btdownloadgui.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\BitTornado\\btdownloadgui.exe:*:Disabled:btdownloadgui"
"C:\\Program Files\\DC++\\DCPlusPlus.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DC++\\DCPlusPlus.exe:*:Disabled:DC++"
"C:\\Program Files\\eMule\\emule.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\eMule\\emule.exe:*:Disabled:eMule"
"C:\\Program Files\\i2hub\\i2hub.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\i2hub\\i2hub.exe:*:Disabled:i2hub"
"C:\\Program Files\\Kazaa Lite K++\\KazaaLite.kpp"="C:\\Program Files\\Kazaa Lite K++\\KazaaLite.kpp:*:Disabled:KazaaLite"
"C:\\Program Files\\Soulseek\\slsk.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Soulseek\\slsk.exe:*:Disabled:SoulSeek"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\Orb.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\Orb.exe:*:Enabled:Orb"
"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\OrbTray.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\OrbTray.exe:*:Enabled:OrbTray"
"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\OrbStreamerClient.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Winamp Remote\\bin\\OrbStreamerClient.exe:*:Enabled:Orb Stream Client"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\AIM\\aim.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AIM\\aim.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Instant Messenger"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\DOCUME~1\Sommer\Desktop\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Wed 22 Oct 2008 949,072 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"
Mon 15 Sep 2008 1,562,960 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 1,429,840 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 4,891,472 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 2,156,368 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 962,896 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll"
Tue 3 Oct 2006 12,208 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KGyGaAvL.sys"
Mon 15 Nov 2004 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Mon 15 Nov 2004 401 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv18.bak"
Fri 18 Jul 2008 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv02.tmp"
Thu 15 May 2003 43,008 ...H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ESD\DLMCleanup.exe"
Tue 8 Oct 2002 106,496 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolshare\shell\us\shellext.dll"

Finished!

And a new HijackThis log:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:38:14 PM, on 11/25/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: Winamp Search Class - {57BCA5FA-5DBB-45a2-B558-1755C3F6253B} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zune Launcher] "c:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp10.0] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Activation.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iRiver Updater] \Updater.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Copy to Semagic - C:\Program Files\Semagic\copy.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Semagic - C:\Program Files\Semagic\link.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {001EE746-A1F9-460E-80AD-269E088D6A01} (Infotl Control) - http://site.ebrary.com/lib/oberlin/support...s/ebraryRdr.cab
O16 - DPF: {0C568603-D79D-11D2-87A7-00C04FF158BB} (BrowseFolderPopup Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/Shared/MGBrwFld.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...72/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {54823A9D-6BAE-11D5-B519-0050BA2413EB} (ChkDVDCtl Class) - http://www.gocyberlink.com/winxp/CheckDVD.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmg...,15/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01) -
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: karna.dat
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apache - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 10649 bytes

And finally, my latest Malwarebytes log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/25/2008 7:37:38 PM
mbam-log-2008-11-25 (19-37-38).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 56931
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Is there anything else I need to do?
Thank you!

#4 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Hi lise500,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: One or more of the identified infections (TDSSOSVD.dat ) was related to a nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component.

Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control again. and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure.

In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Please read:
"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 lise500

lise500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

Oh dear. :thumbsup:

I do need to be able to trust it as I do online banking and such. Two questions, I guess (and I know they're getting off the subject at hand, let me know if I should ask them elsewhere):

I gather from the links, but they never explicitly said - is it really clean after a reformat and reinstall?
Will backups I make now of my files off the infected computer be infected?

Thank you for your help.

#6 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hi lise500,

Sorry to give you such bad news. :thumbsup:

I gather from the links, but they never explicitly said - is it really clean after a reformat and reinstall?

Yes.

Will backups I make now of my files off the infected computer be infected?

No, but I would run all your files through your antivirus program just to make sure they are clean.

Posted Image

#7 lise500

lise500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Okay, thank you so much for your help!

#8 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

Your very welcome. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#9 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Since your problem appears to be resolved, this thread will now be closed.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users