Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get my laptop to boot up

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bvioc

bvioc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

My home laptop computer (I say home because it is mostly used by my more-technology-challenged-than-me wife and my 3 1/2 year old son) will not boot up. I get a message that says "PBR 2...failed" right after the Dell splash screen.

Nothing else happens after that.

I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP. The battery is dead (like all Dell E1505 batteries after one year), but other than that, it has been working fine.

The last thing I installed was a browser toolbar from UPromise (a 529 shopping rewards organization). The computer worked fine for at least a few days after that install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

This is why Dell should not put the Reocvery partiton before the operating system!
That is what it is saying as the PBR is the partition boot record

First try this pres ctrl & F11 during boot and set to boot from CD.. if this does not work you will need to get into your BIOS I think for Dell it is the delete key (it will show up on the Dell screen)
Try this..Reboot Laptop
Set your bios to boot from cd.
Boot-up using your XP disk, you will see an option to enter Recovery Console, log-in to windows and run chkdsk r/f/p.
Post back if this helps or not.

Edited by merzin, 22 November 2008 - 09:28 AM.

Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

Just a clarification on what merzin wrote. What they are suggesting is changing the boot order so that the CD-ROM will be the first device in the boot order. You will want to make the CD-ROM the first device, then the hdd 0 which should be you C: drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Merzin and dc3,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have several CDs for XP, but I don't have anything that looks like it would be used for booting up the system.

Is there someplace I can download the software and burn it onto CD to use?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

What do the discs have written on them?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

The one problem is I may not be the best at maintenance / archiving of my disks - they may mixed between my laptop (purchased in 2006) and my desktop (purchased in 2003), or worse, my other desktop (now a doorstop), purchased in 1998 (all Dells).

Here are the titles:
Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP | For Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Office XP | Version 2002 Service Pack 1
Reinstallation CD - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1
Microsoft Office XP Small Business - Version 2002 (this looks like it's most recent)
Microsoft Office XP - Version 2002 - Media Content

I am in the process now of downloading a 256 MB file from ubcd4win.com to burn onto CD now. It'll be a while before it's fully downloaded. Would be great if one of the above is, in fact, the boot disk.

Thanks again for your help, dc3!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Do you know if you have XP Home Edition or Professional on the computer that you are posting about?

#8 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Just about certain it's XP Home Edition.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Then you could use either one of the reinstallation CD for XP Home. Try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#10 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

OK, I'm running the Recovery Console now.

Seems to be stuck at "Examining 55797 MB Disk 0 at Id0 on bus 0 on atapi..." unless this part takes a real long time. It's been stuck on this for about 10 minutes now.

#11 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

OK, it's just must be a real slow process. We've moved to "Examining startup environment..."

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

It is a slow process, I guess I should have mentioned this. Just hang in there and have patience.

#13 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

It just finished. Went to reboot, up came the Dell splash screen, then the PBR...

...and it failed again.

#14 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

Am I out of luck?

#15 bvioc

bvioc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

I ran the Diagnostics (after hitting F12 for BIOS) and it stopped at --Start DST Short Test-- Test Results: Fail Error Code: 1000-0146 Msg: Unit 0:DST Log contains previous error(s)

It then asks if I want to continue testing.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users