Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing 5yo mobo/CPU - suggestions needed.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djpeanut

djpeanut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hi all,

A strange situation but hopefully someone will be able to advise...

5 years ago I built a new PC. Now I've returned from long-term travelling to find that the motherboard has died on me. I can't replace it directly as it's fairly obsolete - Socket 754 for an Athlon 64 3000 processor. So I'm in the market for a new main board and CPU, and I want to choose a combo that will work with all my old components, but I don't really know where to start because I've been out of the loop for so long and things have changed fast, as they do in this world!

The original PC had the following spec:

Athlon 64 3000 CPU
ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe motherboard
SB Audigy PCI soundcard
GeForce 6 PCI-Express GPU
3x 512MB DDR333 RAM
2x 250GB SATA HDs
All the usual peripherals/IOs

I want to replace the mobo/CPU with something modern that is backwards-compatible with the above bits, with room for future upgrades. I don't want the latest & greatest, just something that will work, equal to the old CPU/mobo, and ideally as cheaply as possible. I don't need a 64-bit processor this time.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, as I'm a bit out of my depth having just jumped back into the so-called 'normal' world after a long time away. But don't tell me to get a new PC - I don't need one yet :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:38 AM

Replacing the motherboard and CPU will also require adding new RAM as it will be very difficult to find a board that will support PC3200, the newer boards also run the RAM in dual channel which means that you will need matched pairs, the good news is RAM is a lot less expensive now. Another problem you will have is the PSU, the newer motherboards use a 24-pin connector rather than the old 20-pin connector, and now there is a 4 or 8 pin 12V connector for the CPU, so you are probably looking at a new PSU as well.

The rest of you components should be ok, except for one problem with the hdd. When you take a hdd with Windows installed on it which has been running with one motherboard and then switch it to another motherboard there is a problem. There are plug and play IDs of the chipset that are recognized by the registry, and when you introduce another chipset the registry will see new IDs and can become hopelessly confused which usually results in having to reinstall the operating system. There are those that have gotten away with doing a repair installation, but I would suggest backing up all of your important data to a removable media like CDs, DVDs, flash drive, or another hdd. You can read more about this here, there is another article which has some other suggestion that may or may not work, it can be read here.

Newegg has bundled motherboards and CPUs, Tiger Direct has bundled motherboards and CPUs as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users