Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Still Slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

Dear Bleeping Computers,

With this problem I have gotten some feedback, but that was more towards viruses and the like. My computer refuses to go any faster and even has dropped to 300M in its Commit Charge (can that be a sign?). Now I do suspect the issue lies with the Processor, namely the BIOS, since I have confirmed it's not due to any virus or worm.
How do I verify my idea? I don't want to mess with the BIOS if I can help it, yet I can't have the computer go so slow. Whether it be a software or hardware issue, I would like to know. Can you help me?

System: Microsoft XP 32 bit Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Manufactured by Compaq Presario with an Intel Celeron 2.70GHz and 1 GB of SDRAM

You guys are awesome, by the way... :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 24 November 2008 - 03:54 PM.
personal info removed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

How large is your hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

The BIOS doesn't have any relation to the CPU, so this won't be your problem. The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

In computing, BIOS is an acronym that stands either for the Basic Input/Output System.

BIOS refers, in part, to the firmware code (a type of boot loader) run by a PC when first powered on. The primary function of the BIOS is to identify and initialize system component hardware (such as the video display card, hard disk, and floppy disk) and some other hardware devices. This is to prepare the machine into a known low capability state, so other software programs stored on various media can be loaded, executed, and given control of the PC.[2] This process is known as booting, or booting up, which is short for bootstrapping.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Conquistador

Conquistador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Oh! Thanks for the info on BIOS. :thumbsup:

120GB (a capacity for 106GB) with 22.4GB left unused.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Worth reading, IMO:

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Whenever you deem the system to be slow...I suggest taking a look at Task Manager then...to see what is using up CPU cycles, etc.

You might also check Event Viewer for errors which might indicate problems needing attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Tip of the day Monitor CPU performance with Task Manager - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=686

Tip of the day Use Task Manager to track memory usage Ed Bott’s Windows Expertise - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=687

Louis

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

grab something like CCleaner, Privacy Eraser Pro and run a cleaning. Then Scandisk Defrag Scandisk.

if its still slow,

download a copy of ubuntu burn it to cd, and boot to run a memory test (can take a while, grab a coffee, watch a movie, go shopping, take a nap, cook dinner, eat dinner, then come back...)

(do not install, unless you want to:) )

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'm starting to think that the "sweet spot" for memory with XP has risen to 2 gB. This is due to the increased memory usage of newer programs. In most cases 1 gB will be adequate - but if you've got a lot of stuff running it just won't "cut the mustard".

Also, if Windows hasn't been reinstalled recently, you're likely to have a bit of "Windows bloat". That's what happens over the years as a Windows installation matures (gets older). The tips that hamluis posted are the most common way to retrieve the resources that have been sapped by bloat. But, IME, you'll never get back that new Windows smell unless you wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

Still, the experience of finding out what's causing this and researching the steps to remedy it are very rewarding and will give you a greater understanding of how your computer works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

just for knowledge there is also a program out there called "freeramXPpro' that 'optimizes' ram for xp I've used it before, but i dont know really how reliable it is. ccleaner and privacy eraser (when set to erase the swapfile) both do the same as that program (to a point)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

FWIW: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/61016...optomizers.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users