Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Slipstreaming a Disc for installing XP?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 taylert123

taylert123

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

I'm trying to make a slipstream disc so I can dual boot with XP and vista. I have made the extra partition, and after finding out that XP isn't currently compatible with my hard drive (SATA) I found I need to make a slipstream cd with nlite.

I downloaded the driver for it off of Dell's website, but I don't know which one of these to pick : http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/ta.../streamslip.jpg

I have a Dell Inspirion 1525.

Can someone step me through the rest? Do I need any other drivers initially?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ows_xp_on_a.htm

Download page for all XP drivers for Inspiron 1525,
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...n&TabIndex=

XP SATA driver: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=248844

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

What makes you believe that XP is not compatible with your hard drive? XP is compatible with any hdd that is large enough to load it on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 taylert123

taylert123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

XP is compatible with any hard drive, but the installation isn't compatible with SATA drives unless you have the drivers, that's why I'm slipstreaming.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

There will be a point in the installation where it will ask you to install the drivers. The SATA drivers are specific to the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 taylert123

taylert123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

Ok! I got it to work past that point, and now my problem is that when I get to the point where I select a partition, I click "C" to Create Partition, and I get the error message: "Setup cannot create a new partition in the space you selected because the maximum number of partitions already exists on the disk." When I did this, I had 4 or 5 partitions, one with my OS, a recovery partition, a "DELL Media Direct" partition, a very small partition that I didn't know existed (it's about 23 mb), and the partition I made for the installation. What should I do?

[edit] I found out using Computer Management that the small partition is 34 MB and all it says it's used for is "EISA Configuration."

Anyway, I right clicked on the partition I made for XP and clicked "New Simple Volume." There was a little wizard I was used and I think it was going to assign a drive letter and make it NTFS file system, but it gave me the error "You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions."

[edit2] There is another partition I found that's only 2.5 GB but, as far as I can tell, it's not used for anything. I read up and found out you can only have 4 primary partitions, and I think it treats the 2.5 GB one as a primary partition. Is there anyway for me to make that not primary, so I can install XP? Could it have been left over from when I had ubuntu? The only options it displays are "delete volume."

lol, [edit3] I found out the 2.5 GB one is for dell media direct. I don't actually use this, but I think my buttons for volume up/down/mute are linked to that and won't work if I delete it... So that's a no go because I don't have any way to easily do that stuff with my keyboard except that. So, I read up and found I could change one of the partitions to add logical partitions? I don't know, it's getting confusing.

Edited by taylert123, 22 November 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Max of 4 primary partitions per hard drive.

What's the point of saving 2.5GB volume that you no longer use?

Louis

#8 taylert123

taylert123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

This topic can be closed!

#9 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

I have an idea for the mods reading this and (probably) marking as whatever before whatever.

OK say I start a thread, and it gets solved. I should then be able to mark it as solved, and/or lock it. Just an idea, throwing it out there...

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:38 AM

What would be gained by such?

Often...users think a situation is solved...and it is not.

But what would be the gain if your suggestion is implemented?

Louis

#11 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

The ability to mark a topic as solved so it would be easier to distinguish between solved and unsolved.

As well, the ability to delete/close a topic that is not needed ^^(see above)

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

I have an idea for the mods reading this and (probably) marking as whatever before whatever.

OK say I start a thread, and it gets solved. I should then be able to mark it as solved, and/or lock it. Just an idea, throwing it out there...

We have a forum tilted "Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions", where you can make suggestions like this.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

I, for one, am against the closing of a thread. Say, for example, a problem is fixed and the thread is closed. Then someone comes along with a different solution that will work - and is much easier than the solution that originally solved the problem. How can they add this?

Another example - say you've got a similar problem and you've been following that thread - and it's closed, but you haven't fixed your problem yet. Or, say that the preceding is true for you, but you need some clarification on how to do it - why retype everything?

Also, some users don't understand how to use the forum - and end up posting in the thread that they're looking at. If the thread was closed, they'd just go away. This way, if they post incorrectly, a mod can split their post out into a topic of it's own - thereby helping the user and making the forums neater.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users