Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows supporting spyware?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

http://www.adwarereport.com/

Even while Microsoft continues to push forward with their "anti-spyware" effort, new evidence indicates that they have teamed up with known spyware company Hotbar. Are millions of computer users now at risk of infection via Windows Update?

what do you guys think about this?
Posted Image
We come into this world in birth, and we die and rot into the earth.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:21 PM

I think its ridiculous and personally dont like this persons style of journalism. He takes a great leap to make this statement:

s it possible that Microsoft is now installing spyware on to millions of PC owners' computers without their knowledge or consent?

#3 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:23 PM

Probably the same journalist that wrote the article about Osama Bin Laden killing Princess Di

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

Seems suspicious :thumbsup: What is Microsoft really up to? :flowers: You would only hear this from one of those crazy, anti-NWO, conspiracy nuts... lol

You can tell that that website is a little "crazy" because if you read on down they have some more stories that are a little "out there."

Edited by yanowhiz, 11 May 2005 - 09:39 PM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

AdwareReport is the National Enquirer of adware. I went to Hotbars site and if that was true that they are Microsoft Certified it would be all over the site. But it wasn't. I guess the gang at Hotbar were abducted by aliens before they could make the announcement. :thumbsup: Watch your supermarket checkout counter for news on that one. :flowers:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:55 AM

I'm not saying that I believe this story. But, my question is, how are they able to get away with stating that they are a MS Certified Partner?

Here
Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

Geeeeeeeeeez scarlett, trust you to find something with a smiley on it. :thumbsup:

I had to blow off my hosts file to see that page, guess thats why I didn't find it.

how are they able to get away with stating that they are a MS Certified Partner?

Well, either they are or they're going to get a cease and desist letter. I have no idea what it takes to become an MCP, but it probably costs money and I don't imagine MS is too picky about what you do, as they probably don't see themselves as censors.

UPDATE - I'm flabbergasted but its true

Microsoft Resource Directory Partner Profile.

These companies are desperate for legitimacy as there is so much money involved. Guess that brings them up a notch.

Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs)

To qualify for the Microsoft Certified Partner program, organizations must have at least two dedicated, full-time employees who are current MCPs.

The only way to become Microsoft-certified is to pass a series of rigorous exams required for certification in eight different areas:
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers design, install, support, and troubleshoot information systems. MCSEs are network gurus, support technicians, and operating system experts.
Microsoft Certified Database Administrators implement and administer Microsoft SQL Server databases.
Microsoft Certified Solution Developers use development tools and platforms to create business solutions.
Microsoft Certified Professionals are expert in at least one Microsoft operating system, development tool, or desktop application.
Microsoft Certified Professionals with a specialty in site building plan, build, maintain, and manage Web sites using Microsoft technologies and products.
Microsoft Certified Professionals with a specialty in Internet technology install and configure server products, manage server resources, plan security, and perform other Internet-related duties.
Microsoft Certified Trainers teach others about Microsoft products using Microsoft official curriculum at Microsoft authorized technical education centers.

Edited by Leurgy, 12 May 2005 - 12:06 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

Geeeeeeeeeez scarlett, trust you to find something with a smiley on it.  :thumbsup: 

I had to blow off my hosts file to see that page, guess thats why I didn't find it.

how are they able to get away with stating that they are a MS Certified Partner?

UPDATE - I'm flabbergasted but its true

Microsoft Resource Directory Partner Profile.

These companies are desperate for legitimacy as there is so much money involved. Guess that brings them up a notch.

Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs)

To qualify for the Microsoft Certified Partner program, organizations must have at least two dedicated, full-time employees who are current MCPs.

The only way to become Microsoft-certified is to pass a series of rigorous exams required for certification in eight different areas:
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers design, install, support, and troubleshoot information systems. MCSEs are network gurus, support technicians, and operating system experts.
Microsoft Certified Database Administrators implement and administer Microsoft SQL Server databases.
Microsoft Certified Solution Developers use development tools and platforms to create business solutions.
Microsoft Certified Professionals are expert in at least one Microsoft operating system, development tool, or desktop application.
Microsoft Certified Professionals with a specialty in site building plan, build, maintain, and manage Web sites using Microsoft technologies and products.
Microsoft Certified Professionals with a specialty in Internet technology install and configure server products, manage server resources, plan security, and perform other Internet-related duties.
Microsoft Certified Trainers teach others about Microsoft products using Microsoft official curriculum at Microsoft authorized technical education centers.

Oh goody. MS has given me another reason to stay away from any security programs that they offer. Not that I was ever planning on installing any of them anyways. :flowers:

Oh dear Leurgy. Where is the humanity? :trumpet: My name is scarlett and I am a smileyholic (sp?) I so need to find a support group asap. :inlove:
Posted Image

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Not being funny, but............
if that's all the qualifications for a MCP are..... a lot of people on this site would qualify!!

BBPP6nz.png

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:23 PM

Actually, its not that easy to pass the exams. And they are not cheap either. If you fail you can keep on trying, but you have to pay for each attempt (around here they start at $150 and go up from there). See some practice tests here. Try the sample exam or the customized tests.

#11 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

Taking into account that there are more than one exam you must pass to become certified, and then you must be re-certified every so-often (I can't remember how often) -- if you are smart enough to pass several vigorous exams and constantly stay up to date on new technology, then it's very easy to become an MCP :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users