Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Spyware Progs Immune to Current fixes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hey guys,

My company has been very successful with malware removal by using HJT, SmitFraudFix, and Combofix (as well as manually deleteing the left over goodies). Recently we have been getting a few infections that are not getting caught with these scans. Today I encountered a couple of infections (Antivirus Trigger, and Online antispyware Test) that smit and combofix just passed right over. I have also heard from my coworkers that AV2009 will actually block combofix from even running (This was possibly worked around by renaming Combofix.exe to T.exe, but i did not do it myself, i just heard it worked that way). I was able to clean up the problems today manually with HJT, killbox and a LOT of regedit work, but it took a hell of a long time. I was wondering if anyone else was having similiar problems with their cleanup attempts.

I have heard some talk recently about Unhack Me being able to get these, but the reviews i have read for it have been mixed to say it nicely. If it were my personal computer i would have no problem taking the time to manually clean out the infections, but i work onsite at customers homes and business', so the last thing they want to hear is that it will take me 3+ hours for a cleanup.

Basically im wondering if anyone has encountered these same problems, and what you did to get rid of the malware in a timely fashion. In reality, a 3+ hour job runs the customer about half+ the price of a new pc. Are there any different scans we should be using for these newer spyware progs, or would it just be sensible for time and money sake to do a backup and reinstall as soon as we see our utilities not picking the infections up?

Thanks in advance for the opinions and thoughts

-Tenz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

This site exists to help the amateurs, not any professionals.

Sorry, but we will not discuss the integrals of programs usage as in HJT, COMBOFIX, or any others.
This is per the programs' authors and board rules... Join our training program?

Be very careful from where you D/L Unhack me - as most sites are also infected!

[The fasted fix is a save (if one can), clean wipe, and reinstall a legit OS!]
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

understood Koan,

Yea, i have been reading that about unhack me, and i agree, reinstall with backup is the best answer, but most customers do not like to hear that i have to wipe out everything (even though im saving all their data, its still a bitof a hassle for them to get all progs back on etc...), they want it cleaned and have it just like it was before, we try to oblige, which is why I made this post. I fully understand what you mean about discussing the progs/rules and such, my apologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users