Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of switching from Norton to AVG

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Running XP SP3; AMD Athlon 64 3200+; 1Gb Ram

I am a lomg time Norton user. I know it has always been a rude resource hog, but the 2008 version was considerably less of a problem about interrupting my work, and I trusted it pretty much. Along with my AVG Anti-Rootkit, AVG Anti-Spyware, Spybot - S & D, Spyware Blaster, and SUPERAntiSpyware, I have never been infected. They've all, except for the anti rootkit, caught a few bugs.

For $54.99 you can get the AVG Internet security suite. Or for $44.99 you can get the free version each of Firewall and AV.

1. What does the Internet security have that the Firewall + AV does not? If there is a free version of the IS, I didn't see it at AVG.com.

2. How big of a functional advantage would I see between the free and paid versions? I really don't mind paying for safety.

3. Is there any way to assemble a suite that equals the $54.99 IS safety-wise? I know that it will be without some conveniences.

4. I understand I'll have to manually update them all, but that is not a concern. Other than reading up on un-installing Norton, do any of you have an opinion about these options? I really like to have a lean, squeaky clean system.

Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Oh well... I read in a couple of places that AVG was a memory hog too. My NIS 2008 was hardly noticable except when it decided to interrupt your work with Live Update; way better than previous versions. I wanted the paid AVG and it cost more than Norton. So I got NIS 2009 for $29.95 after rebate.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:32 AM

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

There is a free version of internet security, and a paid version.
I use the free Comodo, and have had no issues with it.

My advice would be to investigate what's available.
If you decide to go with a paid product, see if that product has a 30 day trial.
Install it. Play around with it. Find out how to use it. Is it easy to use, understand? Is the user interface easy to use?
See if it causes any issues with your system. There is no one size fits all, what works for one person or computer may not work for you or your system. If you don't like it, if it doesn't play nice with your system, find something else.
Or try several products, then make a decision. If you decide to pay for one of them, wait until the 30 days is almost up. Some of these products will offer you a discount to purchase.

#4 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

For free.... AVG is really good... I havent had any problems with it and I install it on all of my clients pc's... I don't really like norton that much because it seems to let a few things through that others wouldn't and I dont really like the interface that it has... I actually had one customer who had an updated version of Norton that allowed one trojan through and it shut down his firewall and downloaded around 150 files of malware on his pc... So im not that fond of it.... I havent seen that much difference in memory usage between the two but I could be wrong. Id try out the AVG free version and see how it goes... You will find that Anti-Virus programs are much like cars where one guy says that one company is great and then another guy says that he hasn't had any good luck with them.... GOOD LUCK!!!!

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't make the switch. For 29.95 with rebate, I'm now using NIS 2009. I like the new interface, it's much more straight forward. It doesn't interrupt my work at all. 2008 was better but so far '09 is invisible. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority liking Norton, but it works for me.

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

NOD 32

#7 yossarian23

yossarian23

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

I bought Kaspersky Internet Security at Staples about a month ago. I think it was $80, but had a $20 or $25 rebate AND also was eligible for a $45 (I think) Visa cash card (Easy Rebate). I didn't even know that when I went to pay, it was just gravy that I got it at the register. I really like Kaspersky -- much, much more than Norton. Some people find it not user friendly and or a resource hog. I have found neither to be true. It updates frequently, which lightens the load on updates in any one case. And it runs very nicely in the background.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users