Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen flickers but online in certain windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 acoustic_kitty

acoustic_kitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

I wasn't sure if screen problems for laptops go under internal or external...so hopefully this is right!

Ok, I have an hp pavilion zd8000, the monitor that it says in the display properties is an ATI mobility radeon x300.

Starting about 5 days ago, in Firefox, and open windows like "my documents" or "display properties" or whatever, I see horizontal, tiny, rippling (moving) lines. This is constant. However, on certain webpages, there will be a few lines all the way across the screen, horizontally, in varying widths, and as I scroll up or down the page these horizontal lines scroll up and down too. So it doesn't seem like it's the screen, because it isn't stationary or specific to certain areas..but I have no idea. Also, when I watch movies or when windows is starting up I don't notice a problem at all. It could just be because this is only really noticeable on white/light colors/backgrounds....

This may or may not be related to my problem: Last week I plugged a really old monitor into my computer to use as a second monitor, and I attached them through display properties. I don't think my computer was messed up right after I disconnected the old monitor, but within a few hours of disconnecting it is when this started happening. I've looked at my display setting and tried to update my driver..but to be honest I have no clue.

Any suggestions? Is my laptop dying?

Edited by acoustic_kitty, 21 November 2008 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Your screen resolution and refresh rate may have changed to support the older monitor. Check your display settings and see if they have changed. If your desktop looks different IE:bigger Icons your desktop seems to have shifted etc. Then the resolution is lower than it was before. To view your monitor settings right click on your desktop and select properties and then the settings tab.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users