Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe uses 100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kiddo7

Kiddo7

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:45 PM

Just when I start my PC, my explorer.exe uses up to 99% CPU usage and causes the system runs really slow. By checking (windows XP: windows task manager then processes and look for explorer.exe) :thumbsup:

I have searched for a solution for almost 2 weeks but nothing seems could solve this problem. I found this solution, which seemed to solve this problem for...a day, then the next day, explorer.exe uses up to 99% CPU usage again. :flowers: the solution I found was about avi files, that explorer.exe tends to read its info and therefore, it uses alot of CPU usage, but now I dont think that is the problem...

here is the solution that I found:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

I tried to delete that key but it says "unable to delete all specified values"

PLUS, my key is not "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}", it says "value not set." So I put that key in and restart my PC, I was very glad cuz it seemed to solve the problem but the next day, it started again :trumpet:

I also use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and DEstroy, and Microsoft's Antispyware. My PC always have Norton Internet Security and Noron Antivirus running. But none of them seems to help.

I found this forum and heard of you guys' enthusiatism. I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks first. :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

Hi Kiddo7 and welcome to BC.

I would strongly suggest downloading HijackThis and posting a log in that forum. These guys are great, and if anything is lurking, they will find it. Here are the instructions.

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post HERE and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

Good Luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

I also use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and DEstroy, and Microsoft's Antispyware. My PC always have Norton Internet Security and Noron Antivirus running. But none of them seems to help.

When were they last updated? If you have updated them recently I would strongly advice you to do so, then run a full sacn with each of them seperately. Also you might want to think about getting Avast! (Free Anti-Virus; it is less of a memory hog than Norton and is way more protective.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users