Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Links to all shortcuts not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler Graham

Tyler Graham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

I am fixing a computer for a friend. I took off the Anti-Virus 2009, and it is completely gone at this point. Now, the shortcuts on the desktop and the applications in the start menu no longer work. When I click on them they all browse for the executable, saying it cannot be found. It seems to be a problem with the Windows Registry, and I was wondering if anybody knew a fix for this.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

What steps did you use to take off Anti-Virus 2009?
In order to help you, you need to tell us in detail what you did and with what programs.
Was Combofix one of them? Using Combofix without the supervision of someone trained in its use can lead to the problem you describe.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#3 Tyler Graham

Tyler Graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, I used Combofix, also Smitfraudfix, and SDFix. When that was all done, I scanned it with Spybot. Is the registry hosed? If I have to reformat or anything it's not a big deal, I was just wondering if there is a fix for it.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Unfortunately, because you used Combofix without guidance, you have made your friends computer problems worse. At least the computer will boot up-some who use Combofix end up with computers that won't boot at all.

I won't comment on Smitfraudfix and SDFix (I don't know anything about them) other than to ask:

When you used SDFix, did you follow instructions and run it in safe mode?

Since I am not an expert in this area, I'll put out a call and ask that someone more knowledgable than me take a look at this topic.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Edited by garmanma, 22 November 2008 - 01:31 PM.
copied text

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

I would suggest that before you make any changes in the registry that you back it up first just to be on the safe side.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users