Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backups & CD-RW....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

Have been putting off learning to use my CD-RW drive. Now I have lost all my information. How do I backup onto a cd-rw drive. My drive has Roxio software I don't know which version. Please can someone point me to an easy tutorial. I have tried Google and all those that I find there are long and I do not understand them. What I tried to do is to put a blank cd-r or cd-rw on the drive, the files I want to save, select the cd-rw drive and paste the information, then select write files. The pc will then start writing the files, then when the progress bar shows one bar left to finish [a few seconds], it gives an error message that the cd-rw has not been able to write the files and that I must put a blank cd on the drive. Is it possible to backup files on the same computer? I don't have an extra harddisk or a portable hard disk either. Thanks. :thumbsup:
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

Sure you can back up files on the same computer as many times as you like. Then, when the hard drive dies, you lose all of them.

Backing up files with a CD burner should not be hard. I used to use HP burning software, which was quite simple, and Roxio Easy CD Creator when I needed to burn a disk image.

To use a CD-RW disk, you must format it first. That takes about 45 minutes. But you shouldn't need to format a CD-R.

I don't know which software you have exactly, but you should be able to add files. The Easy CD Creator I used was a bit confusing since it had about four panes. The files or folders that will be backed up should be in the right lower pane.

You should even be able to open a Windows Explorer window where your files are alongside your Roxio software and drag the files from Explorer to Roxio.

You can overwrite files on a CD-RW disk but not a CD-R disk. I use a CD-RW disk to backup my checkbook/business files and use the same disk over and over without problems. Once formatted, it works just like a hard drive.

Was that any help?

#3 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

Formatting the CD-RW: Do I put the cd on the D:\ and right-click and choose format like when formatting a floppy disk?

How do I check which software is my cd-rw drive is using. My drive came pre-installed with this software. It is not like the drives that use Nero where you can go to start>programs> and select nero burning or something like that. We use Nero Burning Rom at work and its no problem at all. But my drive has me stumped.

I also have ISO Buster and CDBurnerXP Pro3.Can I use one of these with my cd burner?

Thanks.
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users